The MA degree offered by the Psychological Sciences program of the Northern Arizona University can be obtained with both thesis and non-thesis options. Regardless of a student's primary educational goals, our graduate program is designed to strengthen quantitative skills and provide students with research experience that will increase one's competitiveness when applying to Ph.D. programs in psychology and/or positions where these skills are required.
Students who enter the program find a solid and expansive curriculum which is designed to be completed in two academic years. Foundational courses, such as those in research design and statistics, include closely-supervised theoretical and laboratory-based opportunities. Students are mentored in how to present and discuss research proposals and disciplinary-focused content relevant to coursework and their own research or applied interests. Students have a choice to complete either a thesis (under the direction and mentorship of a faculty member) or a nonthesis applied project, such as working with a faculty member and director of a local agency to complete a needs assessment or program evaluation. The majority of students who enter the program report an interest to doctoral psychology programs.
With further education, one of these paths is possible:
- Social scientist
- Mental health professional
- Intermediate Statistics
- Techniques Of Psychological Research
- Advanced Seminar: Assessments And Evaluation
- Psychology Of Learning
- Cognitive Processes
- Mental Well-being: Psychopathology And Positive Mental Health
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesPsychology Statistics School Counselling View 505 other Masters in Statistics in United States
- NAU Graduate Online application is required for all programs.
- Undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A"), or the equivalent.
- English language proficiency scores.
- GRE revised General Test
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Prerequisites (completed prior to enrolling in the program): minimum of 18 units of psychology credit including Introduction to Psychology (101); Statistics; Research Methods.
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Personal statement or essay
- Responses to specific essay questions
International26994 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26994 USD per year during 12 months.
National26994 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26994 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State11004 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11004 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Flagstaff
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.