The Geology program of the Northern Arizona University is an advanced degree is especially useful in state survey work and for advancement in industry and government. If you're passionate about the improvement of natural resources, the environment, and pollution control, we offer the tools to help you find a job while pursuing your passion.
The program is located in a region that offers amazing opportunities for geologic studies. Located in Flagstaff, Arizona, the university lies in the unparalleled setting of the southern Colorado Plateau near the San Francisco Peaks, Grand Canyon, and red rocks of Sedona. Research problems abound involving sedimentary, igneous, and metamorphic rocks, surficial deposits, and water resources. Active and funded research programs also address problems outside Arizona, including studies in Alaska, Argentina, Australia, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, New Zealand, Spain, and Turkey.
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- Geologist (exploration, petroleum)
- Environmental consultant
- Geotechnical engineer
- Natural resource manager
- Petrologic Phase Equilibria
- Vertebrate Paleontology
- Sedimentary Petrology
- Advanced Structural Geology
- Applied Geophysics
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Soil Science Geology View 75 other Masters in Soil Science in United States
- NAU Graduate Online application is required for all programs.
- Undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A"), or the equivalent.
- English language proficiency scores.
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Personal statement or essay
- Prerequisites (completed prior to enrolling in the program): Physical Geology; Historical Geology; Mineralogy; Petrology; Stratigraphy and Sedimentation; Structural Geology; Field Camp; Calculus I; Calculus II; Physics I; Physics II; Chemistry I; Chemistry II
- List of courses taken in the field
International26994 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26994 USD per year during 12 months.
National26994 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26994 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State11004 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11004 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Flagstaff
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.