In three years of part-time study, you can attain a master's degree in medical sonography, with the opportunity to learn advanced clinical skills, or pursue research.
General Sonographers require highly developed technical skills with a strong understanding of physics, anatomy and pathology for the examination of body parts such as internal organs, blood vessels, musculoskeletal systems, reproductive organs and pregnancies.
Your career after the Medical Sonography degree from the University of South AustraliaThere’s a current shortage of specialised sonographers in Australia and New Zealand.1 Sonographers require highly developed technical and interpersonal skills. As a graduate, you can find work as an accredited Medical Sonographer in metro, rural and remote locations across:
- Private practices
- Tertiary education providers.
- Medical Sonographers perform a broad range of tasks and duties, including:
- Examining referrals from, and writing reports for, Doctors.
- Operating equipment to ensure the interior images are clear.
- Positioning patients, equipment and screens for maximum exposure and clarity.
- Selecting the images needed for diagnostic purposes.1Parliament of Australia, Diagnostic imaging workforce
- Ultrasound Physics and Instrumentation
- Professional Issues for Sonographers
- Abdominal Sonography
- Superficial Parts Sonography
- Obstetric and Gynecologic Sonography
- Vascular Sonography
- Musculoskeletal Sonography
- Clinical Sonography Portfolio
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
- There is no closing date for submitting your application
DisciplinesHuman Medicine Medical Imaging View 11 other Masters in Medical Imaging in Australia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of South Australia and/or in Australia, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- CRICOS Provider no 00121B : This program is not available to students wishing to study in Australia on a student visa
- Professional Practice
- Current registration as a General Sonographer with the Australian Sonographer Accreditation Registry (or overseas equivalent, where accreditation was awarded following completion of a recognised degree)
- Higher Education Study
- Complete a letter of support confirming a training position within a General ultrasound department that will be supervised by an accredited medical sonographer who is registered with ASAR (Australian Sonographer Accreditation Registry); AND EITHER
- A Bachelor Degree or higher in an approved Field of Education (FOE), and completion of the prerequisite courses at a Bachelor level or higher within the last 10 years (or prior completion with evidence of clinical application of prerequisite knowledge); OR
- A Graduate Certificate in Medical Sonography Principles and Theory (General);
International31900 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31900 AUD per year during 18 months.
- Domestic Students: Commonwealth Supported
Living costs for Adelaide
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.