You will be taught by staff with extensive experience in news journalism with input from leading journalists and editors from publications across the country going from news novice to a multiskilled, multi-platform, social media savvy and highly employable 21st Century journalist.
Our agreement with the Nottingham Post gives students the opportunity to learn journalism skills on the job. Our students are gain invaluable first-hand experience working in industry and it gives the Post an opportunity to spot the best talent which is great for their newsroom but also the city as skilled graduates are retained.
Careers and employability
Graduates from News Journalism course from Nottingham Trent University have gone on to work for the BBC, ITN, Sky News, and national and regional newspapers across the country. As well as working as newspaper reporters, news editors, broadcast journalists and sub-editors, many graduates have secured media related positions in PR, marketing, promotions and advertising.
Graduates of this course have progressed to roles in organisations including:
- Editor - The Shetland Times Ltd
- Senior Media Relations Officer - South Yorkshire Police
- PR Manager - Slimming World
- Content Editor - Tank PR
- Director - Fourteen Forty
- Communications Manager - Alzheimer's Research UK
- Senior Editor - The Wall Street Journal
- PR and Marketing Manager - The Parks Trust
- Senior News Reporter – NME
- Marketing and Communications Manager - Roehampton Club
- Public Relations Officer - University of Derby
- Digital Sports Journalist - Sky Sports
- Senior Media Officer - The Terrence Higgins Trust
- Reporter/Sub Editor - Press Association
- PR Consultant - Eden Public Relations
- Senior Reporter - Johnson Press PLC
- Digital Journalist - The Sun's dreamteamfc.com
- Sports Writer - Leicester Mercury
- Senior Staff Writer - British Medical Association
- Senior Reporter - Nottingham Post
- Content Producer - BBC
- Features Writer - Nottingham Post
- Broadcast Journalist - BBC News Online
- Communications Officer - East Midlands Ambulance Service
- Social Media Editor - Derby Telegraph
- Production Editor - Future PLC
- Freelance Digital/Video Sports Journalist - The Times, Guardian, Independent
- Freelance Contributor/Features Writer - Bristol Post, BBC Radio Five Live, TalkSport Radio
- News Journalism Skills and Digital Production
- Media Law
- Public Affairs for Journalists
- Journalism, Ethics and Society
- Social Media
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesJournalism View 139 other Masters in Journalism in United Kingdom
- A 2.1 honours degree and enthusiasm for, or experience of journalism.
- Applicants with a 2.2 and substantial experience will be considered.
- Applications from candidates with non-standard entry qualifications will be considered on an individual basis.
International13500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13500 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA8000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8000 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Part-time UK/EU: £4,000
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.