What you'll study
This Magazine Journalism programme from Nottingham Trent University will equip you with the all-round skills and knowledge needed to build a career as a journalist in magazines, whilst providing you with a deep understanding of the wider publishing business. First and foremost you will learn how to write, whether it’s an in-depth interview, a sharp news story, a daily blog or a snappy photo caption.
You will learn how to report, research, interview and edit news stories and features. Using Adobe InDesign, you will develop an understanding of how to plan a page with text, photographs and graphics, sub-edit copy, and write a compelling headline.
You’ll get to grips with mobile journalism, using a phone or tablet to record video and audio, and learn how to edit your material into packages. On newsdays and newsweeks, you’ll produce websites and magazines, working with WordPress, the storytelling platform Shorthand.com, InDesign and Photoshop, as well as creating content for Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
You’ll also examine the business side of magazines and have the chance to pitch your own idea for a new title to a panel of industry professionals.
Careers and employability
Previous students on the MA/PGDip Magazine Journalism course have gone on to work in a range of roles as magazine writers in digital and print, production journalists, social media editors, sub-editors, and in PR, digital marketing and promotions.Recent graduates include:
- Alyss Bowen, social media editor, online magazine The Debrief
- Jodie Heginbotham, account manager, The Tonic Communications
- Georgie Kiely, writer
- Davina Merchant, writer, MashableUK
- Charlotte McIntyre, sub-editor, Slimming World magazine
- Hannah Rought, senior marketing executive, TimeInc
- Dave Straw, marketing and comms manager, The London Stadium
- Stewart Thorpe, reporter, Rail Media.
- Magazine Journalism Skills and Digital Production
- Media Law
- Business of Magazine Project
- Journalism, Ethics and Society
- Social Media
- Public Affairs for Journalists
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- We would recommend applying as soon as you are able as we may close the course if it is full.
DisciplinesJournalism Media Management Digital Marketing View 309 other Masters in Digital Marketing in United Kingdom
- You will need a good honours degree (minimum 2.1) and enthusiasm for, or experience of journalism.
- Applicants with a 2.2 and substantial experience will be considered.
- Applications from candidates with non-standard entry qualifications will be considered on an individual basis if they can demonstrate relevant professional experience.
International15850 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15850 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8800 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Nottingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.