You will be supported in the use of traditional and digital production methods through a range of practical and technical workshops, and be encouraged to experiment across the boundaries of production technologies. You’ll produce a project proposal known as a learning agreement through which you will establish your research objectives and practice ambition. You will develop a substantial body of work for public exhibition or publication that will enable your future independent and sustainable creative practice.
Our photography staff team offer a wide range of knowledge and expertise across a breadth of photographic practices and will support your learning and individual interests, through informative and responsive teaching.
- Develop a project tailored to your own personal interests and career aspirations
- Have the opportunity to engage with and discuss the critical, historical and contextual frameworks surrounding your practice
- Enjoy gallery visits to London and across the region
- Benefit from optional study visits to photo festivals in the UK and Europe, such as Paris Photo and Photo London
- Hear from visiting speakers – these have recently included Emma Bowkett, Francis Hodgson, Sarah Jones, Martin Parr, Joy Gregory, Simon Roberts, Simon Webb, and Sunil Gupta
- Take advantage of our excellent industry links, including companies such as Mamiya Leaf, Phase One, Genesis Imaging, Wex Photographic, and Red Photographic
- Benefit from our staffs’ international links and contacts across Europe
- Join the 75 years’ worth of NTU graduates who have achieved success, won awards, or otherwise distinguished themselves in the field of photography
- Opt for an additional advanced research module if you’re thinking of progressing to PhD or Professional Doctorate study.
Careers and employability
This Photography course from Nottingham Trent University leads to a wide range of career opportunities within photography including freelance photographer; artist; curator; picture researcher; photojournalist; picture editor; gallery manager; and exhibitions coordinator.
Graduates also use this course to support careers in teaching, lecturing, and progression on to MPhil or PhD study.
Our aim is to produce highly employable graduates, and we are committed to offering experiences throughout the course that will enhance your understanding of the creative industries in which photographic practice is situated.
The University’s Employability team can help to prepare you, offering a variety of activities including CV building, writing job applications, and preparing for interviews.
Working with your allocated supervisor, and through discussion with your peers, you’ll develop a learning agreement that outlines both your personal and project aims.
Tutorials will be used to invite debate and provide a platform to critique theory and practice. You will evaluate the development of your research, personal engagement and practice, and contribute to the critique of peer work. Tutorial discussions will be supported by a series of staff-led presentations that examine critical photographic debates reflecting current theoretical ideas and their relationship to the development of your practice. You will be able to attend optional trips to UK and European photo festivals, and participate in regional and national gallery visits.
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media View 317 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in United Kingdom
- 2.1 honours degree in a related subject.
- Applicants with non-standard entry qualifications and / or relevant work experience will be considered on an individual basis.
- a creative portfolio.
International14500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14500 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA8000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8000 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- UK/EU: £4,000
- International: £7,250
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.