You’ll benefit from a broad spectrum of contemporary thinking and debate on careers education, information, advice, guidance and coaching, and you’ll develop the skills to make a positive impact on the sector and the profession.
The curriculum offers flexibility – you have the choice of studying a MA Career Development full-time or a Postgraduate Certificate by blended learning, and there are module options to help you develop specialisms. This course is ideal if you’re looking to find employment in the sector, or are already employed in a career development or related role and seek Continuing Professional Development opportunities (CPD).
Rather than commit to the full MA, you can choose to study a Postgraduate Certificate (PG Cert) in Career Development. Those studying on the full-time MA will have the option of completing the Qualification in Career Development (QCD) award accredited by the Career Development Institute (CDI) professional body.
Careers and employability
The Career Development course from Nottingham Trent University will equip you with attributes that are highly sought after by employers in the careers and employability sector. As such, employability is a core theme throughout the course – not only will you have acquired the skills necessary for professional practice within the career development sector, but you’ll be able to apply these perspectives to yourself in order to assist you in managing your own employability.
Through our close links with the sector, you may have the opportunity to network with employers and practitioners at national career development events such as the CDI Student Conference and the National Career Guidance Show.
Upon graduating from the course, there are a range of jobs you can pursue in the career development and employability sector that align to the roles outlined in the CDI’s Career Professionals in the 21st Century – A Blueprint of Learning Outcomes for Professional Roles in the UK Career Development Sector. These include:
- career information and assessment experts
- career educators
- career counsellors
- programme and service managers
- social systems intervenors and developers.
Students from our previous Career Guidance course have entered a range of roles in career guidance and employability, including:
- Careers advisor
- Secondary enrichment coordinator
- Learning advisor
- Career consultant
- Student advisor
- Progress coach
- Learning technology consultant
- Freelance career counsellor
- Recruitment leader
- Community mentor
- European partnerships assistant
- Ethical Stances and Professional Practices
- Frameworks for Professional Practice
- Career Development Theory and Guidance Practice
- Labour Market Information
- Research Methods and Dissertation / Service Evaluation
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
- We would recommend applying as soon as you are able as we may close the course if it is full.
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics Management, Organisation & Leadership Educational Psychology View 34 other Masters in Educational Psychology in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- You will need an undergraduate degree equivalent to a UK undergraduate honours degree or other equivalent higher education qualification e.g. HND / DipHE.
- Applicants without such qualifications will be considered but will be required to evidence relevant work experience in a related field, and demonstrate their motivation and ability to study at postgraduate level.
International14400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14400 GBP per year during 18 months.
National6800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6800 GBP per year during 18 months.
PG Certificate distance learning:
- National: £2,267
- International: £4,834
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.