From the broad perspective of inclusive practice, and general special education policy and practice in Ireland, the Special Educational Needs one-year programme from Mary Immaculate College, University of Limerick provides specific inputs in assessment, language, literacy, mathematics, social, emotional and behavioural content areas as well as incorporating ICT at all levels to support instruction and learning.
This programme is open to all serving teachers who are employed in a position funded by the Department of Education and Skills and who provide Special Education Teaching in recognised Primary schools, Post-Primary schools, and other recognised Educational Services. Teachers serving in special schools and special classes are also eligible to apply. The programme is designed specifically to assist teachers in meeting the learning and teaching needs of students with special educational needs.
Potential applicants must therefore have a teaching role in relation to students with special educational needs. Please refer to the circulars listed in Appendix 1 for information on the qualifications necessary for Special Education Teaching posts at Primary and Post-Primary levels and qualifications necessary to teach in Special Schools.
Six modules focus on both theory and application with a view to change the planning and practice of teachers working with children with additional needs in primary, post-primary and special schools. Assessment modes used include inclusive and special education provision mapping, case study, reflective essay, documentation of planning and teaching, and practise in schools. Supervised placement in the teacher's own educational setting is an integral part of the programme. Continuous assessment applies throughout the academic year.
This programme provides opportunities for teachers to progress to management roles in their schools as well as applying for national level posts with agencies and organisations charged with providing CPD for teachers in special education. Successful completion of this graduate diploma provides an access route to the Master’s Degree in Special Education. The M Ed programme comprises all the taught modules of the Graduate Diploma programme, a module on research methods and the writing of a dissertation on an approved topic.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Theory, Practice, Roles and Responsibilities in Special Education
- Critical Influences on Child Development, Learning and Behaviour
- Communication, Language and Literacy
- The Role of ICT in Special Education
- Special Education in Practice
- Curricular Provision: Meeting the Holistic Needs of Learners with SEN
- Curricular Provision: Collaborative Practice in Special Education
- Identifying and Managing Special Education
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesEducation Special Education Teaching View 12 other Masters in Special Education in Ireland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- The programme is open to teachers in positions funded by the DES and who provide special educational teaching in recognised Primary schools, Post-Primary schools and other recognised educational services. Teachers serving in special schools and special classes are also eligible to apply. Download DES Circular for more detail.
- A limited number of places are available at six higher education institutions in Ireland including Mary Immaculate College.
International9325 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9325 EUR per year during 12 months.
National4675 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4675 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Limerick
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.