The aims of the MA in Applied Linguistics at Mary Immaculate College, University of Limerick are to:
- Enhance the professional knowledge of Language Teachers and language professionals by focusing on the core features of language (grammar, lexis and phonology)
- Develop participants’ ability to utilise theoretical frameworks for the analysis of discourse to enhance their ability to address specific language-related real-world problems concerning the learning, use, teaching and assessment of language
- Provide a broad understanding of the key issues and debates in language teaching and learning
- Develop specialist skills in the empirical analysis of language in context using corpus linguistics
Student Profile & Perspective
The MAAL is aimed primarily at Language Teachers and other language professionals. To offer the optimum flexibility, the course is offered in three possible delivery formats: face-to-face on campus, fully online or blended (a combination of face-to-face and online delivery).
- Allow you the flexibility to continue working throughout the course
- Allow you to integrate professional development into your professional working context
- Allow you the flexibility to study at a time and place that best suits you
- Provide a solution to travel and Visa issues
- Core Features of Language: Grammar, Vocabulary and Phonology
- Research Methods in Applied Linguistics
- Academic Writing: Lexicogrammar and Discourse
- Second Language Acquisition
- Classroom and Learner Discourse
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 53 other Masters in Language Studies in Ireland
- A 2.2 honours primary degree, plus two years’ experience in Language Teaching, publishing or translation, or related fields.
- Relevant prior experience in Language Teaching, publishing or translation, or related fields considered on a case-by-case basis.
International12825 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12825 EUR per year during 18 months.
EU/EEA6425 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6425 EUR per year during 18 months.
Part Time Completion in 2 years (Students taking an extra year to complete pay €775 in the final year:
- EU/EEA - 4,425 EUR per year.
- NON-EU - 8,825 EUR per year.
Living costs for Limerick
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.