The taught elements of this Modern Greek Studies course at Univerity of Birmingham give you the opportunity to enhance your knowledge and understanding of critical theory, linguistic skills or historical methodology, in addition to translation strategies, literary movements or wider cultural, historical or political developments.
Overall, the programme enables you to situate your research in relation to disciplinary and interdisciplinary intellectual traditions, and provides both a foundation for doctoral research and also a chance to enrich your previous understanding in different areas of Modern Greek Studies.
It is made up of three taught modules (further module information is available below) and a 20,000-word supervised research thesis on a topic of your choice in Modern Greek Studies.
Graduates with a postgraduate degree in Byzantine, Ottoman and Modern Greek Studies can boast a wide combination of skills that can be applied in many types of work and which employers regard very positively.
That's why 100% of the Byzantine, Ottoman and Modern Greek Studies postgraduates were in employment or further study within six months of graduating. The graduates have gone on to pursue academic posts at institutions such as University of Vienna, University of Birmingham and University of Warwick.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Postgraduate Research Skills: Historical Studies
- Modernism and Greek Poetry
- Greek Fiction: From Realism to Postmodernism
- Nationalism in the Balkans and the Middle East
- Greek Politics and Culture since the Civil War
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History Modern History View 515 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United Kingdom
- For MRes and MA by Research programmes, entry to our programmes usually requires a good (normally a 2:1 or above) Honours degree, or an equivalent qualification if you were educated outside the UK.
- Applicants for a PhD will also need to hold a Masters qualification at Merit level or above (or its international equivalent).
International17880 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 17880 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA6120 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6120 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- EU/EEA: 3015 GBP part time
- Government-backed postgraduate loans are available to help UK and EU students to finance their studies. Loans are available of up to £10,906 for Masters by Research students and up to £25,700 for PhD students, in all subject areas.
- International students can often gain funding through overseas research scholarships, Commonwealth scholarships or their home government.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.