The field of Data Science has seen rapid growth in recent years, with vast amounts of data now being generated by major companies and service providers.At the same time, it’s recognised that there’s a shortage of qualified analysts, both in the UK and globally, to make the most of this data. Crucially, there’s now a shortage of mathematics graduates with the data analysis skills needed to meet the demands of industry.MSc Mathematics and Data Science course, offered at University of Stirling is one of the first courses to link the two key areas of mathematics and data science, making it uniquely positioned to help you meet this demand.
Graduates from a data science course find employment as:
- R&D data scientist
- digital analytics engineer
- data engineer
- data scientist
- machine learning engineer
- machine learning data scientist
- data solution architect
- machine learning developer
- data scientist in a research field such as genomic, cognitive, clinical and healthcare
The course covers:
- statistical analysis techniques for small and large datasets
- data analysis and modelling using R, Matlab and Python
- building and analysis of mathematical models of real-life systems
- mathematical analysis of data networks, e.g. social media networks
- analytical optimisation and computer-based search algorithms, including Artificial Intelligence
- data analytics and machine learning
- relational and non-relational databases*
- cluster computing*
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesMathematics Data Science & Big Data Machine Learning View 219 other Masters in Machine Learning in United Kingdom
- A minimum of a second class Honours degree, or equivalent, in either a mathematics (joint or single honours) or other numerate subject, e.g. physics. Other degrees will also be taken into account, if it can be shown that some mathematical study took place and you have taken and passed advanced mathematics modules in at least some of calculus, algebra, statistics and numerical analysis.
- Applicants without these formal qualifications but with significant and appropriate work/life experience are encouraged to appl
International20845 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20845 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9350 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9350 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Stirling
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.