Reasons to study the Sports History and Culture programme from De Montfort University :
- The Sports History and Culture MA is an online distance learning programme
- You will learn from an expert teaching team, who are all active in their own field and who maintain links with major sporting organisations
- You will be able to attend conferences organised by the International Centre for Sports History and Culture (ICSHC) and its affiliates – both locally and further afield
- You can fit your part-time study around your other commitments, potentially allowing you to make a complete change in the direction of your career
- DMU and the ICSHC have a wide range of sporting and cultural partnerships you can benefit from, such as Musée National du Sport in France, the National Football Museum in Manchester, Leicestershire County Cricket Club, Leicester City FC
Sport cannot be understood without an appreciation of its history. Taught by expert staff based in DMU's International Centre for Sports History and Culture (ICSHC), the only centre of its kind in the world, this MA offers you a flexible, interactive way to develop your knowledge and understanding of all aspects of modern sport from its traditional to its present day form. Issues you will investigate include:
- What are the origins of modern sport?
- Why has sport become so culturally and globally important?
- How can sport help us understand society and different cultures?
- What primary sources are available to historians of sport and how can they be used?
While the course may be taken online and by distance learning course, you will be invited to attend optional seminars and conferences organised by the ICSHC and affiliates. We encourage you to become part of our wider research community at the ICSHC, either in person or via social media.
You will benefit from the ICSHC’s extensive network of sporting and cultural partnerships with local, national and global sporting bodies.. These partnerships, along with our academic team’s combination of expertise and experience, will provide you with a challenging and rewarding intellectual experience leading to a valuable qualification.
Many of our students have used their studies to develop careers in sports writing, sport development, management, the media and teaching. Others have gone on to undertake PhD research and pursue academic careers. A number have used their studies to publish work. A number of our students have undertaken a six month paid internship with the history management team at the Adidas headquarters in Germany.
We are actively developing our employability links with the course. With the flexibility of distance learning, our students often take the course part time while they work. Others choose the more intensive one-year study plan to obtain an MA before applying for further study such as a PGCE or PhD programme. This mixture makes the varied career profiles of our students a strength of the MA, in terms of its multi disciplinary intake.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Social and Cultural Themes of Sport
- Sport, Politics and Policy
- Investigating Sports History: Research Methods
- Sport, Writing and History
- Football: Past and Present
- The History of Rugby
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Sports Management Sports Sciences View 26 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
You should have the equivalent or above of a 2:2 UK bachelor’s honours degree in a relevant subject such as history, other humanities-based subjects, sports studies or sociology.
- We welcome applications from a wide sector and all non-standard applications will be carefully considered.
- You will need access to the internet and a computer with software capable of reading and writing Rich Text Format documents, such as Microsoft Word, Appleworks or StarOffice.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14100 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA8100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8100 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- EU/EEA - £4,050 (part-time) per year
- International: £7,050 (part-time) per year
- Vice-Chancellor’s 2020 Scholarship
- Vice-Chancellor's Sports Scholarship
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.