The Egyptology programme at University of Birmingham combines three taught modules with a 20,000-word supervised research thesis on a topic of your choice.
It comprises a major individual research project, supervised by a specialist in the field of study, and taught modules designed to equip you for research in this subject.
Postgraduate students have the chance to study Egyptian artefacts kept in the Eton Myers Collection of ancient Egyptian art held at the University of Birmingham’s Selly Oak Learning Resource Centre.
The University of Birmingham have an outstanding research collection in the University Library, with strong holdings in periodicals and other scholarly publications, including those in relevant European languages, and subscriptions to all major online databases and e-resources.
Birmingham's Classics, Ancient History and Archaeology graduates develop a broad range of transferable skills including: familiarity with research methods; the ability to manage large quantities of information from diverse sources; the ability to organise information in a logical and coherent manner; the expertise to write clearly and concisely and to tight deadlines; critical and analytical ability; the capacity for argument, debate and speculation; and the ability to base conclusions on statistical research.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Ancient Egyptian Religion
- Egyptian Culture in Context
- Egyptian Language
- Research and Scholarship in Classics and Ancient History
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
DisciplinesHistory Ancient History View 493 other Masters in History in United Kingdom
- For MRes and MA by Research programmes, entry to our programmes usually requires a good (normally a 2:1 or above) Honours degree, or an equivalent qualification if you were educated outside the UK.
- Applicants for a PhD will also need to hold a Masters qualification at Merit level or above (or its international equivalent).
International17880 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 17880 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA6120 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6120 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- EU/EEA: 3015 GBP part-time
- Government-backed postgraduate loans are available to help UK and EU students to finance their studies. Loans are available of up to £10,906 for Masters by Research students and up to £25,700 for PhD students, in all subject areas.
- International students can often gain funding through overseas research scholarships, Commonwealth scholarships or their home government.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.