The Social Work programme from Maynooth University combines rigorous academic education with supervised field work practice towards the aim of developing competent, ethical and reflective social work practitioners who are committed to the promotion of human rights and social justice in social work.
Graduates of this programme will be able to:
- Demonstrate the necessary knowledge, skills and values to practise independently as professional social workers;
- Engage in ethically informed social work practice, upholding principles of social justice, human rights and anti-oppressive practice;
- Critically evaluate the political, social, economic and technological issues encountered by social workers in their work and be competent to deliver creative responses to these issues;
- Demonstrate an integrated understanding and proficiency in the core domains specified by the Social Work Registration Board, namely: professional autonomy and accountability, interpersonal and professional relationships, effective communication, personal and professional development, provision of quality services, knowledge, understanding and skills.
Social workers are employed in a range of settings including child welfare and protection, criminal justice, mental health, addiction and health-related social work. The Department of Applied Social Studies offers opportunities for postgraduate study at doctoral level including the PhD - PAC code MHB02 (FT), MHB03 (PT) - and Doctor of Social Science (DSocSc) –PAC Code MHB06.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Theories & Principles of Social Work & Social Justice
- Social Work Policy and Praxis
- Social Work Methods and Issues
- Research for Practice and Policy
- Professional Development & Fieldwork Practice
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSocial Work Sociology View 47 other Masters in Sociology in Ireland
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A minimum Second Class Honours (2H2) primary degree (NFQ Level 8) in social science or equivalent, with social policy as a major component. Graduates with a Level 8 degree in other disciplines who have completed a relevant conversion programme e.g. Higher Diploma in Social Policy may also apply. A Higher Diploma in Social Policy is offered by Maynooth University
- A minimum of 420 hours of relevant and verified social work/social service experience, paid or voluntary, by the time they commence the programme
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA8000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8000 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Maynooth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.