Candidates take a specified number of taught modules, and are also required to write a long essay of c.7,500 words representing an independent piece of research. It is not possible to take modules in Greek or Latin as part of this Classical Studies programme from Maynooth University . The long essay is written on a topic approved by the Head of the Department of Ancient Classics under the supervision of a designated supervisor. The topic is agreed by the end of the first semester, and work begun during the period between the first and the second semester. The long essay is submitted by a specified date at the end of the academic year.
Employers across a wide range of professions value highly the wide range of intellectual abilities which an MA in a classical subject develops.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Popular Culture in Classical Athens
- Judaea From Herod to Hadrian
- Greek and Roman Letters: Epistolography of the Ancient World
- Literature and Learning in the Second Century Ad: Apuleius and His Contemporaries
- Herodotus and His World
- Late Antiquity: the Classical World in Transition
- Long Essay
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesGeneral Studies & Classics Literature Linguistics View 30 other Masters in Linguistics in Ireland
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Normally at least a high 2:2 in the BA degree overall with a 2:1 in Greek and Roman Civilization, or equivalent.
- Applicants must have a recognised primary degree which is considered equivalent to Irish university primary degree level.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14000 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA6500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6500 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Maynooth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.