The Scientific Computing and Data Analysis course offered by Durham University is designed along five core educational aims:
- Train the next generation of research-affine data and computational scientists and engineers for the UK high tech sector; they have to be equipped with a very solid understanding of the underlying computing technologies and methodologies
- Equip you with the skills and knowledge to apply successfully for further higher education programmes (PhD) with a strong computing and data flavour in Durham or outstanding international institutions
- Provide you with the opportunity to obtain a deep insight into the state-of-the-art in the respective application domain with respect to computational and data challenges
- Enable you to bridge the widening gap between application domains, big data challenges and high-performance computing once you have mastered the course
- Make you aware of the societal, economical and ethical responsibilities, opportunities and implications tied to massive data processing and compute power; this includes training on entrepreneurship.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
The course is designed such that:
- you will obtain a solid baseline in methodological skills
- you can either put emphasis on data analysis or scientific computing
- you will do a challenging project either within the methodological academic departments (Mathematical Sciences or Computing Science), or within the specialisation area, or in close cooperation with our industrial partners
- you will acquire important professional skills spanning collaboration and project management, presentation and outreach as well we entrepreneurial thinking
- you will study selected topics from your specialisation area with a strong emphasis on computational and data challenges.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesComputer Sciences Data Science & Big Data View 591 other Masters in Computer Sciences in United Kingdom
A UK first or upper second class honours degree (BSc) or equivalent
- In Physics or a subject with basic physics courses OR
- In Computer Science OR
- In Mathematics OR
- In any natural sciences with a strong quantitative element.
We strongly encourage students to sign up for a specialisation area they already have some background of affinity. At the moment, the course thus targets primarily Physics students.
- Programming knowledge on a L3 level in at least one programming language and commitment to learn C and Python independently if not known before. See Additional requirements.
International25000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 25000 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA11000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11000 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.