Why study MSc/PGDip/PGCert Exercise and Physical Activity for Special Populations and Healthy Ageing at Middlesex University?
The health and fitness industry has witnessed an explosion in recent years as more and more people realise the importance of exercise. With this comes new challenges for professionals who must consider the wide range of long-term medical conditions which could impact their clients or patients, and how physical activity can positively aid healthy ageing.
The Exercise and Physical Activity for Special Populations and Healthy Ageing MSc/PGDip/PGCert at the Middlesex University promotes cutting edge professional practice, giving students the opportunity to undertake leading research and acquire the latest knowledge of effective practice prescription for special populations, including post-Covid-19, under the supervision of highly experienced experts.
The course has been designed specifically for qualified graduates and health and fitness professionals, so understands that you will bring experience and working knowledge with you. We help you put this into context and develop it. During the course you will learn how to justify your professional decisions with evidence-based practice and develop your professional understanding and accountability.
You might already have a Level 3 GP referral qualification, a Level 4 individual condition qualification or a BSc degree, but this Level 7 degree takes that knowledge to the highest level. At the end of the degree you will have a comprehensive understanding of 18 of the most commonly presented conditions and how to manage them singly or as comorbidities through exercise prescription, and how to prescribe exercise to promote healthy ageing.
- One of the few masters degrees in the UK to focus purely on the prescription of safe and effective physical activity across the most common chronic diseases, including Covid-19, and promote healthy ageing
- You will consider the most effective way to work in a range of working environments, from fully equipped gyms to clients' own homes
- Learn to understand the underlying pathologies of the most common chronic diseases
- Learn the relevance of good nutrition and prescribe appropriate diets
- Learn motivational factors of exercise adherence and utilise models to help keep your clients on track
- Look in great depth at a specific condition that interests you through an individual research project
- Once you complete the course you will be one of the highest qualified specialist trainers in the health and fitness industry
- You learn using state-of-the-art facilities and equipment, at a university recognised as one of the best in the country for sport and exercise science and rehabilitation
- The course allows you to build a sound foundation of individual research interests which can then be taken to PhD level.
- As a student of this course you'll receive a free electronic textbook for every module.
- The course has been designed specifically for sport scientists and qualified health and fitness practitioners, providing a Level 7 degree which is the highest level of qualification in the industry.
- Whether you are a personal trainer, physiotherapist, clinic rehabilitator, nurse, home visitor or other health professional; this Masters equips you to be one of the highest qualified specialists in the field and enables you to help people achieve their fitness, health and lifestyle goals safely and effectively.
- Students with an undergraduate degree in a relevant area who wish to continue their education before pursuing one of the above careers would find this masters valuable.
- The degree is also suitable for individuals working in specialist clinical units such as stroke or heart units, or those with an interest in research at doctoral level, who need a thorough baseline knowledge and require research experience with special populations.
- Clinical Sciences and Nutrition
- Exercise Prescription and Management in Special Populations and Healthy Ageing
- Research Methods
- Work Placement
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- We recommend applying as early as possible for your chosen postgraduate course to ensure you are granted a place.
DisciplinesGerontology View 22 other Masters in Gerontology in United Kingdom
The equivalent of the below qualifications from a recognised overseas qualification will be accepted:
- Students will require an undergraduate degree in a sport or exercise related field (2.2 or above). Students with undergraduate degrees in non-related areas will be considered subject to relevant industry experience and professional qualifications. Alternatively, prospective students who have substantial experience in the area and/or completed vocational qualifications, will be considered via interview.
- Ideally applicants will have 1-2 years relevant experience in the sport and fitness industry
- Alternatively prospective students who have completed a lower equivalent qualification in a relevant subject and have extensive experience in the area will be considered via interview
- Prospective students who fail to meet some of the above criteria may be directed to some preliminary study e.g. Summer school.
International14800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14800 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9600 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.