The Sound (Design) course offered by Bath Spa University delivers a mixture of advanced technical skills related to sound design and audio post production for film and other visual media. It also provides creatively-oriented insights into contemporary sound design practice and encourages students to push the boundaries of the field. Subject areas include:
- Sound sculpting, processing and synthesis
- The language and aesthetics of sound design
- Storytelling and dramaturgy.
This is in addition to a wide range of more conventional post-production skillsets such as:
- Sound editing
- Foley and field recording
- Production workflows
- Dubbing mixing
- Surround sound and VR audio.
You won’t be expected to cover all of these areas. You’ll be able to use the course to develop an individually-tailored portfolio of skills, experience and top-level work across them.
You can use the course to develop an individually-tailored portfolio of skills. This will equip you for the current employment landscape, where a combination of traditional audio post production roles are required alongside broader practice in sound, music and other media.
The course also provides the breadth necessary for FE and HE teaching in the field, and provides the basis required for PhD research and beyond.
Our graduates have a range of successful careers in production, composition, music for film and TV, sound design for moving image and games, sound art, software development, engineering, further education, higher education, and research.
- Research Methodologies and Context
- Sound Arts Skills
- Sound Design Skills
- Sound Production Skills
- Sound Production Creative Project
- Sonic Architecture
- Sound Design Practice
- Intertextuality In Sound Production
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Late applications (generally those made after 31 July) will only be considered if places remain on the course.
DisciplinesDesign General Engineering & Technology View 797 other Masters in General Engineering & Technology in United Kingdom
- We’re looking for creative individuals that have proven experience in sound design, audio post production, or music production.
- Generally we look for a first degree, 2:1 or higher. Often this will be in audio post production, film, music, music technology, or another closely related subject field. However, we accept applicants with other degrees where they can demonstrate relevant experience.
International15070 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15070 GBP per year during 12 months.
National7790 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7790 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Bath
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.