Actuaries quantify the probability and manage the risk of future events in areas such as insurance, healthcare, pensions, investment, and banking and also in non-financial areas. This course is taught by the Department of Mathematical Sciences and is intended for students with a first degree in mathematics, statistics, economics or finance who would like to acquire knowledge in actuarial science.
- The MSc Actuarial Science course at the University of Essex is based on the syllabus of the majority of the Core Technical subjects of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries, so you’ll cover Core Technical subjects as part of your course (CT2 or CT3, depending on the optional module selected, CT4, CT5, CT6, and CT8). This focus on up-to-date research findings in actuarial methodologies and actuarial applications means that you gain a solid training in actuarial modelling and actuarial analysis.
- You will also have the chance to study a problem in depth through a Masters thesis project on a subject chosen by you or your supervisor.
- As part of our Department of Mathematical Sciences you’re a member of an inclusive and approachable research community with an international reputation in many areas including semi-group theory, optimisation, probability, applied statistics, bioinformatics and mathematical biology.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Survival Analysis
- Mathematics of Portfolios
- Statistical Methods
- Stochastic Processes
- Financial Derivatives
- Research Methods
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
We recommend that you apply as soon as you are able to .
DisciplinesMathematics Actuarial Science Bioinformatics View 173 other Masters in Bioinformatics in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A 2:2 degree in one of the following subjects: Mathematics, Statistics, Operational research, Finance, Economics, Business Engineering, Computing, Biology, Physics or Chemistry.
- Will consider applicants with a unrelated degree but which contained at least three modules in calculus, algebra, differential equations, probability & statistics, optimisation or other mathematical modules.
- Applicants with a degree below a 2:2 or equivalent will be considered dependent on any relevant professional or voluntary experience, previous modules studied and/or personal statement.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International18800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18800 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8760 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8760 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Colchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.