The English Philology programme at University of Ostrava helps students deepen their linguistic competence and expertise in all key areas of English studies. Students will broaden and extend research skills that will help them complete the final-year Master's thesis project.
The aim of the degree is to ensure that graduates attain an expert level of philological knowledge and are experienced, independent users of the English language (CEFR level C2), with a solid knowledge of English linguistics and of the literatures and cultures of English-speaking countries; this knowledge and these skills can be applied by graduates in a wide range of professions requiring independent intellectual work and expertise in the above-mentioned areas.
As an English Philology Master degree graduate you will develop advanced critical, analytical and communication skills which enable you to pursue two possible paths: to continue your studies in our doctoral programme, or to enter the labour market. Our recent graduates have entered careers as diverse as tourism, the media, publishing, international relations, translating and interpreting, industry and commerce, and further studies.
Why study at the University of Ostrava?
- Top quality research-driven education
- Leading figures in their fields of expertise
- Individual teacher-to-student approach
- A wide variety of study fields
- Young, fresh, modern, open-minded spirit
- Strong emphasis on individual growth
- Flexibility and responsiveness due to the small size and youthful vigor of our university
- Emphasis on the 3rd role of the university – to act as local community leaders
- Great space for both students and academicians‘ supplementary activities
- The lively and poetic atmosphere of the formerly industrial city of Ostrava
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Historical grammar of English
- Language typology
- Development of literary criticism
- Text linguistics
- Selected chapters from literature
Thanks to their language competence and special knowledge, graduates of this program are able to pursue professional careers in the Czech Republic and abroad. They can focus on research at academic institutions and pursue careers as experts in public- and private-sector institutions, organizations, and companies (particularly in the international departments of these organizations)
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Submit the application to study and pay the administrative fee for the admissions procedure.
- Get the language proficiency certificate.
- Submit a structured motivation letter and your bachelor thesis summary of the required lenth.
- Obtain an official document proving your previous education as stipulated by the Conditions for admission, art. 3.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International2599 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2599 EUR per year during 24 months.
National2600 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2600 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Ostrava
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Once you become our student you can apply for accommodation scholarship, academic scholarship and others.
Also, even though the Czech Republic has a way lower costs of living than other cities in the Czech Republic (and other countries in general), you can ask for student discounts at specific places/shops/museums/cinemas/theatres and more.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.