The Conference Interpreting and Translation (Chinese-English) course offered by the University of Essex will build on the knowledge and skills you acquired in your previous studies, and is unique in the emphasis it places on hands-on training. With the help of native speakers, you learn how to use your language skills to translate, interpret and subtitle effectively, using the latest industry-standard software, in a culturally sensitive way.You cover topics and skills including:
- Simultaneous interpreting
- Advanced simultaneous interpreting
- Advanced consecutive interpreting
- Specialised translation
Our course directly leads to a career in translation, interpreting and subtitling, in the media, business and tourism between the English-speaking world and China. Students are exposed to realistic training from experienced translation and interpreting trainers which prepares them for work after graduation.
We work with the University’s Employability and Careers Centre to help you find out about further work experience, internships, placements, and voluntary opportunities.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Principles of Translation and Interpreting
- Subtitling: Principles and Practice
- Written Translation
- Advanced Consecutive Interpreting
- Simultaneous Interpreting
- Technologies of Translation
- Specialised Translation
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
We recommend that you apply as soon as you are able to.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Translation & Interpreting View 508 other Masters in Languages in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- We will consider applicants with a 2:2 or above (or international equivalent) in a subject which has a major component of English.
- If Mandarin Chinese is not your first language, you will need to hold HSK level 6 to be considered for this course.
- Applicants may be required to attend an interview (by skype) and successfully pass Translation and Interpreting aptitude tests.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International18800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18800 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8760 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8760 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Colchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.