The North-American Culture Studies programme from Masaryk University is designed so that the students gain an overview of each of the two cultural areas at the same time and are instructed on their mutual linguistic, literary, and cultural influences. For this reason, the programme is structured in a modular manner.
The mandatory part of the curriculum consists of core courses that have a methodological section in which students learn the basic theoretical approaches toward the concept of identity of oneself, of the other, and of various social groups, and focus on the concept and its various manifestations in literature, linguistics, and culture.
The core section is followed by a variety of in-depth courses in which students gain an orientation in the specific cultural phenomena in the Anglophone, Francophone, and Hispanophone worlds.
Graduates can work wherever good bilingual skills and critical thinking are needed and where attention is paid to issues of cultural relations, such as the issues of otherness, social and cultural exclusion, migration, and immigration.
- Cultural Perspectives on the Colonization of North America
- North American Cultural Geographies
- Theatre of French Canada
- Translating North America into Czech (and vice versa): a historical-cultural perspective
- Multilingualism, Language Change and Language Policy
- Image of the USA and America in Quebec literature
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Linguistics View 4 other Masters in Language Studies in Czech Republic
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Masaryk University and/or in Czech Republic, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
This fee-paying degree program is open to:
- Those holding a Bachelor's degree in a field related to programs taught at faculties of arts, faculties of social studies, faculties of education and faculties of economics, and those with knowledge of English and French/Spanish. Knowledge of English must be at the C1 level.
- Those holding Bachelor's degrees in other disciplines within the humanities, liberal arts or social sciences from colleges or universities located in English-speaking countries (i.e. the United Kingdom, Ireland, Canada, the United States, Australia, and New Zealand) may also be considered for admission on an individual basis.
International2500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2500 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA2500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2500 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Brno
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.