The North-American Culture Studies programme at Masaryk University is designed so that the students gain an overview of each of the two cultural areas at the same time and are instructed on their mutual linguistic, literary, and cultural influences. For this reason, the programme is structured in a modular manner.
The mandatory part of the curriculum consists of core courses that have a methodological section in which students learn the basic theoretical approaches toward the concept of identity of oneself, of the other, and of various social groups, and focus on the concept and its various manifestations in literature, linguistics, and culture.
The core section is followed by a variety of in-depth courses in which students gain an orientation in the specific cultural phenomena in the Anglophone, Francophone, and Hispanophone worlds. The two compulsory modules combine either the Anglophone-Francophone area or Anglophone-Spanish-speaking area, allowing for an informed comparison.
Graduates can work wherever good bilingual skills and critical thinking are needed and where attention is paid to issues of cultural relations, such as the issues of otherness, social and cultural exclusion, migration, and immigration.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Identity and Alterity in Literature and Culture: Theory, Methodology, Analysis
- Multilingualism, Language Change and Language Policy
- Image of the USA and America in Quebec literature
- North American Cross-cultural Narratives
- Cultural Perspectives on the Colonization of North America
- North American Cultural Geographies
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Languages View 4 other Masters in Languages in Czech Republic
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- two letters of recommendation, one of which must be from a teacher
- statement of purpose in English (750 words maximum)
- copy of the applicant's Bachelor's thesis or its equivalent or 15 pages of applicant´s original academic paper
- a document demonstrating English-language skills at the C1 level
- transcript of university/college studies
- programme North-American Culture Studies requires demonstration of French-language/Spanish language skills at the B1 level
International2500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2500 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA2500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2500 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.