This Architectural History programme at The University of Edinburgh offers the historiographical perspective and methodological tools required for advancing architectural history through a substantive work of scholarship. You will benefit from the environment of rigorous intellectual exchange supported by an extensive network of architectural history staff, a rich programme of architectural history lectures and workshops, and a dynamic atmosphere of student research leadership.
Through a combination of supervised original research and thesis writing with optional internships and other professional opportunities, you will gain a deep knowledge of architectural history as a field, as well as spectrum of investigative and rhetorical skills. You will mature as a scholar and thinker within an exceptional community of architectural inquiry—one of Britain’s largest and most broad-ranging centres for the study of architectural history.
The research programme in Architectural History is served by high-quality library facilities. All students in the programme are provided with 24-hour-accessible study space, as well as access to well-equipped multimedia laboratories, photography and exhibition facilities.
- This programme comprises three years of full-time research supervision under an expert in your chosen subfield of architectural history, followed by an 80,000-100,000-word supervised dissertation. You will have the option to attend advanced courses in Methods of Architectural Research and Historiography and to gain invaluable teaching experience as a tutor in survey courses.
- In consultation with your supervisor, you will situate your project as a productive addition to the practice of architectural history and craft a feasible plan for domestic and/or international research. You will enjoy intensive writing coaching as well as the chance to present your findings and receive targeted feedback at every stage of your project’s development. In addition, you will receive support in applying for fellowships and guidance on career paths open to you after graduation.
- 24 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArchitecture History View 285 other Masters in Architecture in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Normally a UK masters degree, or its international equivalent. We will also take any professional experience into account.
- If you do not meet the academic entry requirements, we may still consider your application on the basis of your relevant professional experience.
International23350 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23350 GBP per year during 24 months.
Home fees have still to be agreed
MPhil PT fees
- International/EU - £11,675
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.