Film Studies can be studied full-time or part-time, as an MA by Research or as a PhD doctoral thesis, and by distance learning too. The Film Studies (On-Campus or by Distance Learning) degree at University of Birmingham includes Television Studies and many aspects of Media Studies are covered by our expert supervisors too. You may also be interested in comparing this programme to the Film Studies Audio-Visual PhD which allows students to produce a 30,000 word thesis and a 60 minute documentary film.
We offer two postgraduate research-only programmes, whether you are looking to complete your academic studies with a PhD or pursue your research at Masters level. Find out more about what to expect from a PhD and MA by Research.
Why study this course?
- Internationally-recognised research: We have internationally-recognised research expertise in the fields of European, American and World Cinema, film theory, ethics and aesthetics, queer theory, television studies, children’s media, film and television authorship, performance and audience studies, documentary, digital media, social action filmmaking, film festivals, film production and screenwriting.
- Research initiatives: Staff contribute to joint initiatives in the presentation of research, notably through the B-Film research centre and via international and online projects. We work with staff in allied departments across the University so that you benefit from an interdisciplinary approach to teaching, supervision and research.
- Community: We have a thriving community of research students.
- Research into the history, theory, production and global contexts of film and television is complemented by our strong traditions in creative practice as research.
- The department is home to award-winning writers and internationally-recognised experts in their fields.
- Our academic work is regularly disseminated in short film, documentary and digital media formats.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Film, Photography & Media Media Studies & Mass Media View 354 other Masters in Media Studies & Mass Media in United Kingdom
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Birmingham and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
Our requirements for postgraduate research are dependent on the type of programme you are applying for:
- For MRes and MA by Research programmes, entry to our programmes usually requires a good (normally a 2:1 or above) Honours degree, or an equivalent qualification if you were educated outside the UK, usually in a relevant area.
- Applicants for a PhD will also need to hold a Masters qualification at Merit level or above (or its international equivalent), usually in a relevant area.
International19800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19800 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National4596 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4596 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
- UK: £4,596 full-time, £2,298 part-time
- International: £9,900 part-time (distance learning only)
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.