The Film Studies (On-Campus or by Distance Learning) programme offered by University of Birmingham requires you to prepare a thesis of up to 40,000 words on a topic of your choice, for which an academic staff member will provide expert supervision.
Research students may either complete the MA by Research or apply to upgrade this to a full PhD at the end of their full year, in which case the MA by Research functions as the first year of their PhD.
The PhD, the most advanced research degree, leads to a thesis of up to 80,000 words on a subject of your choice, also under the expert supervision of an academic member of staff.
You can study an MA by Research or PhD programme on campus or by distance learning. Please note that if you are studying with us by distance learning, the programme includes a fully-funded annual visit to campus for each full year of your programme (every two years for part-time students).
Postgraduates in the Department of Film and Creative Writing develop a range of skills including: the ability to lead and participate in discussions; critical thinking, and an appreciation of different theoretical contexts; the ability to develop opinions and new ideas; and an aptitude for thinking and working creatively with others.
While some graduates go on to careers in related industries - such as writing, media and television - others have used their transferable skills to pursue roles such as advertising, teaching, and in the heritage and cultural sectors.
More informationVisit official programme website
About The Course:
- Research into the aesthetic, historical and theoretical contexts of literature and film is complemented by our strong traditions in creative practice as research. The department is home to award-winning writers and our academic work is regularly disseminated in short film, documentary and digital media formats.
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Research starting in January or September is encouraged, but flexible start dates may be available.
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media View 315 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in United Kingdom
- For MRes and MA by Research programmes, entry to our programmes usually requires a good (normally a 2:1 or above) Honours degree, or an equivalent qualification if you were educated outside the UK.
- Applicants for a PhD will also need to hold a Masters qualification at Merit level or above (or its international equivalent).
International17880 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 17880 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA4380 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4380 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- UK/EU: £2,160 part-time
- International: £8,940 part-time
- Government-backed postgraduate loans are available to help UK and EU students to finance their studies. Loans are available of up to £10,609 for Masters by Research students and up to £25,000 for PhD students, in all subject areas.
- International students can often gain funding through overseas research scholarships, Commonwealth scholarships or their home government.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.