On this History of Art and Architecture course at Birkbeck, University of London , you will gain the chance to work closely with internationally recognised experts who are defining the field conducting groundbreaking research in periods from medieval to contemporary and focusing on painting, sculpture, print culture, architecture, photography, digital art and museology. Our History of Art and Architecture Graduate Certificate is also enriched by museum and site visits, visiting speakers and screenings.
Over the course of the Certificate you will develop skills of visual analysis, critical thinking, academic writing and research experience that will prepare you to embark on further postgraduate study, for example our MA History of Art, MA History of Architecture, MA History of Photography, MA History of Art with Curating or MA Museum Cultures.
Careers and Employability
Graduates can pursue careers in the creative arts, media and education. Possible professions include higher education lecturer, museum/gallery curator, or advertising account executive. This degree may also be useful in becoming a community arts worker, multimedia specialist, or higher education lecturer.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- History of Art and Architecture: Skills and Approaches
- Art and Scandal in the Modern Period
- Art and the Sacred in the Middle Ages
- Art as Critique: Caricature, Modernity and the Avant-Garde
- Art of the British Empire
- Concrete and Flesh: Modern Architecture and the Body
- Impressionist Paris: Modernity and Difference
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
You are strongly advised to apply now, to ensure there are still places on your chosen course and to give you time to complete the admissions process.
DisciplinesArchitecture History Art History View 275 other Masters in Architecture in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
A second-class honours degree (2:2 or above) from a UK university, or an equivalent international qualification.
- If you do not already hold a first degree, but believe that you are a suitable candidate for the Graduate Certificate through other experience and educational achievements, please contact the admissions tutor.
- Applications are reviewed on their individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively. We actively support and encourage applications from mature learners.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International5340 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5340 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National2940 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2940 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.