As the name suggests, Computational Linguistics (sometimes called Natural Language Processing) is the use of computers to study language.
On the MA in Computational Linguistics at University of Wolverhampton, you will be able to study:
- How to use Python and the well-established NLTK library to process natural language texts;
- How to analyse real language usage;
- How to automatically translate text using computer programs;
- The use of computers to study features of language;
- Translation tools such as translation memory systems;
- Computer techniques for automatically classifying natural language texts;
- Understand how Siri, Amazon Echo and Google Home etc. work;
- How to design an experiment that will thoroughly test your research questions.
You will be mentored through this programme by experienced and leading academics from the field. Join our research group today to become part of this team of leading researchers and academics and create your path to a career in computers and language!
Potential Career Paths
Graduates of this course will be well-placed to continue their academic/research careers by applying for PhD positions within RIILP or at other leading centres for language and information processing.
This degree will also enable graduates to access research and development positions within the language processing and human language technology industries, as well as in related areas such as translation, software development and information and communication technologies, depending on their specific module choices and dissertation topic.
It should be noted that computer programming is a skill that is increasingly sought after by many companies from technological backgrounds and skills gained from this course will place graduates in a good position to take up such posts.
Past graduates from this course have also gone on to successful careers specifically within the computer programming industry.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Computational Linguistics
- Corpus Linguistics with R
- Machine Learning for
- Python Programming
- Research Methods
- Machine Translation
- Translation Technology
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Direct applications can be made any time prior to the course start date but we will need sufficient time to process it.
DisciplinesComputer Sciences Web Technologies & Cloud Computing Linguistics View 187 other Masters in Web Technologies & Cloud Computing in United Kingdom
- The entry requirement would normally be a 2:1 undergraduate degree in a computer science, linguistics, translation, languages or mathematics. Exceptionally, a 2:2 would be considered upon a successful interview.
- Students with a linguistics or language-related discipline but without a background in computer science would be appropriately advised by the course team and additional specialist technical support provided where necessary.
International13650 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13650 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA6400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6400 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Part time Home/EU: £3200 per year
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.