The Postgraduate Certificate in Secondary Education - Physical Education with History at University of Wolverhampton is specifically designed to ensure that those who are successful will be recommended for the award of Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) - the professional award required by all those who wish to teach in a maintained school.
The aim of the Physical Education with History course is to develop thoughtful teachers who can respond effectively to the learning needs of young people in school by providing a balanced physical education programme. We also want to inspire a generation to become physically literate and active by providing well prepared, high quality physical education experiences for all students.
In addition to this, you will also be able to effectively teach the History curriculum as a second subject. As a trainee you will learn how to teach Physical Education and History to pupils in the 11-16 age range within the secondary age phase, with additional primary and post-16 enhancements. You will learn how to develop skills, knowledge and understanding for teaching Physical Education and History through a combination of university-led and school-led training.
The PGCE in Secondary Education leads to recommendation for QTS, and enables you to take up a qualified teaching post in a secondary school.
In secondary schools you could be considered for a Teaching and Learning Responsibility (TLR), which may comprise any of the following:
- Leading a particular subject as head of department, faculty or curriculum
- Leading the achievement of a particular age group as head of year or key stage coordinator
- Leading a particular area such as special education needs or pastoral care (i.e. personal guidance)
Later, you could progress to a senior leadership position such as a deputy or assistant head and head teacher - at which point you will have overall responsibility for the leadership and management of a school and the education its students receive.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Professional Standards for Teachers
- Subject Specific Learning and Development
- Subject Specific Learning Project
- Professional Learning and Development for Teachers
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Direct applications can be made any time prior to the course start date but we will need sufficient time to process it.
DisciplinesEducation History Sports Sciences View 308 other Masters in Sports Sciences in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- To hold a first degree of a United Kingdom higher education institution or equivalent qualification.
- To have achieved a standard equivalent to a Grade C or above at Advanced (A) Level History
- To have achieved a standard equivalent to a grade 4 (previously Grade C) in the GCSE examinations in English and Mathematics.
- To have taken part in a rigorous selection process designed to assess your readiness to train to teach, which will include as a minimum both an interview and audit of your subject knowledge.
International12250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12250 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.