What's covered in the course?
This programme will enable you to develop advanced analytical skills and in-depth linguistic knowledge, and to gain experience as an independent researcher.
It begins with the Language Description module, designed to give you confidence in working with the essential building blocks of linguistic analysis: grammar, morphology, and phonology.
You’ll then study Data, Theory & Method, covering topics such as hypothesis testing, the role of linguistic theory, data collection, academic referencing and research ethics.
There are optional modules too, covering topics such as sociolinguistics, second language acquisition, spoken discourse analysis, and the history of the English language. In choosing three of these modules you can tailor your studies to your individual interests and career aspirations.
The final dissertation is a piece of original research on a topic of your choice. English Linguistics (Distance Learning) - MA is provided by Birmingham City University.
One of our key strengths is that the programme is taught by leading authorities on the subjects covered. Our teaching staff are active researchers who publish world-leading journal articles, chapters and books.
This research feeds directly into the MA learning materials.
You’ll be fully supported by a tutor assigned to you when you begin each module who can be contacted by email or telephone. There’s no requirement for you ever to attend the University, but there are ample opportunities for you to do so if you wish.
Enhancing your employability skills
Although the programme is not designed to train students for a specific career, you will develop knowledge and practical skills that will enhance your employability and help you to progress in a wide range of careers. The key transferable skills you will gain on the MA programme are as follows:
- communicating in writing in a fluent, concise and precise manner; constructing substantial pieces of prose using appropriate register and style.
- abstracting and synthesising information; collecting, analysing and manipulating data of diverse kinds.
- recognising problems and developing problem-solving strategies, and evaluating their effectiveness.
- working independently; demonstrating initiative and self-motivation; having effective organisational skills and time management.
- Analysis of Spoken Discourse
- History Of The English Language
- Second Language Acquisition
- Corpus Linguistics
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 50 other Masters in Language Studies in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Birmingham City University and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- You’ll need to complete an online application form and submit it, along with scans of your original academic transcripts and certificates.
- You’ll also have to complete the Equal Opportunity section, which is required by UK law.
International800 GBP/moduleTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 800 GBP per module during 24 months.
National800 GBP/moduleTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 800 GBP per module during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.