Why study Literary Studies - Pathway in American Literature and Culture at Goldsmiths, University of London?
- You'll be engaged in a rigorous study of American literary criticism and theory. You'll read a variety of nineteenth- and twentieth-century American literature and assess how American critical and theoretical conceptions shape American literature, producing different “Americas”.
- In particular, you'll study some of the ways in which nineteenth- and twentieth-century American literature sought to understand the nation in the face of the fragmenting effects of modernity and postmodernity.
- While the core module gives you a strong grounding in this field, the flexible structure of the MA will offer you the opportunity to pursue your wider interests by studying three options from the large provision of the department, choosing at least one of these in an area that is relevant to the literature and culture of the Americas.
- You will be able to further develop your interest in American literature and culture through a 15,000-word dissertation to be submitted at the end of your programme of study.
You'll develop transferable skills, including:
- enhanced communication and discussion skills in written and oral contexts
- the ability to analyse and evaluate different textual materials
- the ability to organise information; the ability to assimilate and evaluate competing arguments
Graduates of this programme have gone on to pursue careers in:
- public relations
- the civil service
- the media
More informationVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- American Literature & Culture: Critical and Theoretical Concepts
- Studies in Comparative Literature & Criticism
- Theories of Literature & Culture
- Modern Literary Movements
- Literature of the Caribbean & its Diasporas
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Apply early to avoid disappointment
DisciplinesLiterature View 311 other Masters in Literature in United Kingdom
- You should have (or expect to be awarded) an undergraduate degree of at least upper second class standard in a relevant/related subject.
- You might also be considered for some programmes if you aren’t a graduate or your degree is in an unrelated field, but have relevant experience and can show that you have the ability to work at postgraduate level.
International15500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15500 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA8040 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8040 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- Home/EU - part-time: £4020
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.