The Korean peninsula lies at the centre of landmark geopolitical developments in the early 21st century, and an MSc by Research in Korean Studies from The University of Edinburgh gives you the knowledge and skills to critically engage with the complexities of the two Koreas, and East Asian relations, in a global context.
Join our community and undertake a project comprising research assignments and a 15,000-word dissertation under the guidance of an experienced and well-published supervisor.
Part of an Asian Studies department with a unique combination of disciplinary expertise in Korean Studies, Japanese, Chinese, and East Asian Relations, we have particular strengths in:
- society and culture
- urban studies
- public policy
- political science
- international relations
You will acquire an interdisciplinary understanding of the major issues in Korean society, politics, culture, economy and international relations, and history and will be able to relate those to broader social, political and economic trends in the East Asian region and globally.
Drawing on different analytical and methodological tools, you will be able to engage various disciplinary and theoretical perspectives and apply concepts to empirical cases.
You will gain the necessary knowledge and skills to analyse, compare and assess competing claims and make informed judgements about them.
You will additionally gain transferable skills, including:
- analysis presentation
- the use of new technologies in an innovative learning environment
- team work
Such knowledge and skills will be valuable assets in a range of careers.
- Between the School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures (LLC), the Careers Service and the Institute for Academic Development (IAD), you’ll find a range of programmes and resources to help you develop your postgraduate skills.
- You will also have access to the University’s fantastic libraries, collections and worldwide strategic partnerships.
- Our graduates tell us that they value LLC’s friendliness, the connections they make here and the in-depth guidance they receive from our staff, who are published experts in their field.
- As part of our research community, you will be immersed in a world of knowledge exchange, with lots of opportunities to share ideas, learning and creative work.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
We encourage you to apply at least one month prior to entry so that we have enough time to process your application.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages View 461 other Masters in Languages in United Kingdom
- A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in a related subject.
International25300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25300 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9700 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.