The department aims to provide students with the opportunity to work independently under the supervision of members of staff who will provide detailed feedback and advice on the achieved works. The Department of Philosophy wishes to provide a high quality research experience and output, with integrated taught support for all students enrolled on the structured PhD programme. As part of this process, students on this Philosophy programme at Maynooth University will have acquired the philosophical methods that enable them to pursue studies and research independently according to their personal interests in the field. They will also be able to engage at an appropriate level with other professional scholars.
Philosophy is not a qualification to do a particular job; rather it is a valuable component of general education. The expertise gained in Philosophy is of great value in many different careers. Philosophy is a good preparation for an academic career and for careers in journalism, law, radio, television and the media in general, and politics. Increasingly, philosophy graduates are being hired by large corporations, e.g. in roles such as management consultancy, as people who can approach problems from a new perspective. Philosophy graduates are valued for their quick intelligence, their ability to reason clearly and independently and their ability to take an overview on the problem or situation confronting them.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Custom, Law, And Justice In Ancient, Medieval, And Renaissance Thought
- Reading Renaissance Philosophical Texts: Ficino’s Platonic Theology
- Foucault, History Of Sexuality
- Philosophy Of Language
- Conference Organisation
- Ethics And Academic Practice For Research Students
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics View 28 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in Ireland
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Candidates for research degrees will normally be expected to have a Second Class Honours Grade 1 primary degree in Philosophy, or a Second Class Honours MA degree with some qualification in philosophy.
- Research students are expected to have some knowledge of the language of the author or authors, whose work they intend to research. Applicants must have a recognised primary degree which is considered equivalent to Irish university primary degree level.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA6500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6500 EUR per year during 24 months.
Part-time EU: 4,330
Living costs for Maynooth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.