Based in our central Cambridge studios, over the intensive 12-month MA in Visual Communication - Illustration and Animation at Cambridge School of Visual & Performing Arts you will develop a strong grounding in research and enquiry as you advance your specialist knowledge. You will be encouraged to experiment with new techniques, media and technologies, and respond to the new applications, platforms and spaces in which contemporary illustration and animation are produced and experienced today.
The course provides students with the experience and expertise to pursue career possibilities in the expanding creative industries in the UK and worldwide across the field of illustration and animation, including freelance work in editorial and book illustration, children’s illustration, public illustration, exhibition and experience design, motion graphics and animation for TV and corporate branding, games design, VFX, editing, 3D modelling, digital content production, as well as independent animated filmmaking or further study.
This programme offers outstanding specialist tuition combined with extensive academic contact and studio access. As a Master’s student you benefit from:
- Exclusive access to media and industry expertise, workshops and internships through partners including Hearst Magazines UK, publisher of titles such as Digital Spy, Esquire and Elle Decoration.
- Expert tuition from industry-active professional animators, illustrators and graphic designers with a passion for teaching.
- Intensive learning experience tailored to your needs and ambitions, with a high level of personalised support and 1:1 tutorial time.
- Opportunities for work placements or industry mentoring as part of the course.
- A postgraduate qualification you need to stand out, and get ahead.
- Collaborating with a creative, inter-disciplinary and global postgraduate community.
- Your own iMac and studio work space, open every day of the week.
- Industry-standard software including Adobe Creative Cloud and Maxon Cinema 4D.
- Access to regular Life Drawing in our dedicated drawing studio.
- A small, supportive and specialist creative arts college in a beautiful, historic and cultural city—a creative hotspot and home to one of the UK’s most dynamic and international student communities.
- Visual Storytelling
- Research Practice
- Visual Practice
- Creative Futures
- Independent Major Project
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesVisual Arts Graphic Design Video Games & Animation View 115 other Masters in Video Games & Animation in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Successfully completed an Undergraduate Degree in graphics and illustration, illustration, animation, communication design or a closely related subject.
- CSVPA recognises a wide variety of qualifications and/or relevant experience and encourages applications from all people, with a demonstrable interest and experience in their subject.
- In some cases students may be required to complete a Graduate Diploma.
International24990 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24990 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National14985 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14985 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Cambridge
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.