This Master's degree in Geographic Information Science (Part-Time) (GISc) at Birkbeck, University of London covers the philosophical, scientific, social, policy, environmental and technological issues associated with the use of geographic information in an international context, building on the Department of Geography’s experience in teaching GISc at postgraduate level for over 20 years.
It will introduce you to the principles and applications of GISc at an advanced level through the development of scientific knowledge, technical expertise and practical experience. You will develop the relevant theoretical background knowledge and a conceptual understanding of GISc, as well as an appreciation of the social and political context of geographical data and the implications of its use. The emphasis throughout this course is on enabling you to develop new skills that have real-world applications for your work and career.
- Teaching team includes external collaborators: researchers, private GISc consultants, and GISc professionals working in private industry and public bodies.
- Learning resources include a virtual learning environment, GIS software (ArcGIS, free to UK-based students, and IDRISI, available at student rates), GIS practicals (ESRI Virtual Campus, IDRISI and selfcontained) and e-library facilities.
- In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF), Sociology at Birkbeck was ranked 13th in the UK.
Careers and Employability
Graduates go on to careers in consultancy, local government, defence, planning and policy in areas such as cartography, GIS analysis, remote-sensing applications and software development.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Topics of GIS Analysis
- Geovisualisation and WebGIS
- Introduction to Geographic Information Systems
- Programming for GIS
- Remote Sensing and Environmental GIS
- Spatial Analysis and Statistics
- Spatial Big Data Management
- Spatial Simulation Modelling
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
You are strongly advised to apply now, to ensure there are still places on your chosen course and to give you time to complete the admissions process.
DisciplinesGeography Geographical Information Systems (GIS) View 89 other Masters in Geography in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A second-class honours degree in geography, computer science or a cognate discipline.
- Some experience with a Geographic Information System is desirable.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International7600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7600 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA4450 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4450 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.