The Philosophy (Part-Time) programme at Birkbeck, University of London allows you to follow your own philosophical interests and provides a sound platform for those wishing to proceed to more advanced research work in philosophy.
The MA is open to those with a first degree in philosophy wishing to progress to more advanced levels of study and also to those without undergraduate training in philosophy. If you did not study philosophy as an undergraduate, you take a special route through the programme.
Careers and Employability
Graduates go in to careers in management, politics, recruitment, and journalism. Possible professions include further/higher education lecturer, secondary school teacher, or Civil Service fast streamer. This degree can also be useful in becoming a local government officer, marketing executive, or recruitment consultant.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Philosophical Research Methods
- Introduction to Philosophical Argument
- Introduction to Philosophy
- Ancient Philosophy
- Aristotle's Biology and Ethics
- Art and Value
- Berkeley and Leibniz
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
You are strongly advised to apply now, to ensure there are still places on your chosen course and to give you time to complete the admissions process.
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics View 215 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A second-class honours degree (or equivalent), not necessarily in philosophy, and a sample of written work prior to interview.
- We will review every postgraduate application to Birkbeck on its individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively.
- We actively support and encourage applications from mature learners.
- On your application form, please list all your relevant qualifications and experience, including those you expect to achieve.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International7600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7600 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA4175 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4175 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.