You will gain an advanced understanding of the ideas, interests and institutions that contribute to the making of policy across a wide range of areas, including healthcare, society and social care, migration, the environment, education and macroeconomics.
This Public Policy and Management (Part-Time) programme at Birkbeck, University of London will give you insights into how policy choices are made, in comparison to policy developing by default, without clear choices or the establishment of priorities and strategies. Alongside this, you will also consider management in the public sector, analysing the issues involved in making decisions about how public services are managed.
You will explore how the different parts of national and local government interact and how the private sector is involved in the implementation of public policy. Overall, you will acquire the essential skills needed for the systematic analysis of government policies and for the professional practice of policy formulation and implementation.
The programme is highly topical, considering up-to-the-minute concerns and real-world debates within contemporary UK politics.
- The Department organises a lively programme of seminars and conferences and is home to affiliated research centres, such as the Centre for the Study of British Politics and Public Life, which run seminars, conferences and other events where some of the world's best scholars present their latest research.
- Our academic staff are international authorities in their respective fields, publishing and delivering stimulating teaching in a wide range of political topics including civil society and the state, public policy, development, gender, international security and terrorism, and social and political theory, among others.
Careers and Employability
Graduates can pursue careers in government, policy research and higher education. Possible professions include charity officer, Civil Service administrator, or policy researcher. This degree can also be useful in becoming a journalist, human resources officer, or public affairs consultant.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Economics: Theory, Policy and Institutions
- Public Management: Theories and Innovations
- Public Policy: Interests, Ideas, Institutions
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
You are strongly advised to apply now, to ensure there are still places on your chosen course and to give you enough time to complete the admissions process.
DisciplinesManagement, Organisation & Leadership Public Policy Political Science View 487 other Masters in Political Science in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
A second-class honours degree (2:2) or above in a related area, or relevant experience combined with an adequate academic background (subject to interview).
- Applications are reviewed on their individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively. We actively support and encourage applications from mature learners.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International8010 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8010 GBP per year during 24 months.
National4410 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4410 GBP per year during 24 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.