The Social Research (Part-Time) programme at Birkbeck, University of London covers ontology, epistemology, quantitative and qualitative techniques, and advanced methods masterclasses. You also carry out an independent dissertation, putting into practice the methods and theoretical concepts you have been taught.
The programme provides a particularly strong environment for theoretically informed, interdisciplinary and socially engaged research.
- Rigorous training in a range of contemporary social research methods.
- Excellent foundation for doctoral social research.
- Interdisciplinary, theoretically informed and creative approach to research.
- In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF), Politics at Birkbeck was ranked 17th in the UK.
Careers and Employability
Graduates go in to research roles in government departments, think tanks, NGOs, the Civil Service and political parties. Possible professions include social researcher, government social researcher, or human resources officer. This degree may also be useful in becoming a higher education lecturer or politician’s assistant.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Intermediate Quantitative Social Research
- Introduction to Quantitative Social Research
- Masterclass in Social Research
- Qualitative Social Research
- Social Research Dissertation
- Theorising Social Research
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
You are strongly advised to apply now, to ensure there are still places on your chosen course and to give you time to complete the admissions process.
DisciplinesSociology Educational Research View 377 other Masters in Sociology in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- At least a second-class honours degree in a relevant social science subject and/or relevant work or other (for example, voluntary) experience.
- We will review every postgraduate application to Birkbeck on its individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively. We actively support and encourage applications from mature learners.
- On your application form, please list all your relevant qualifications and experience, including those you expect to achieve.
- You do not need to have completed your current qualification to start your application.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International7600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7600 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA4175 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4175 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.