As well as gaining a broad knowledge of the subject, you acquire practical skills and have the opportunity to investigate certain areas of current research more deeply.
If you are new to the subject, this MSc in Computing for the Financial Services (Part-Time) at Birkbeck, University of London provides the foundation for a career in IT within the financial services industry, and if you already work in IT, it provides an opportunity to broaden your knowledge and update your skills specifically for finance while obtaining a formal qualification.
The programme offers a single software development pathway in Java. For more experienced students there is the opportunity to carry out project work in other languages.
- The Department of Computer Science and Information Systems at Birkbeck is one of the longest-established computing departments in the UK, having celebrated our 60th anniversary. We provide a stimulating teaching and research environment for both part-time and full-time students.
- The Birkbeck Knowledge Lab draws on multi- and interdisciplinary perspectives and methodologies from across the sciences, social sciences and the arts, to investigate how digital technologies and digital information are transforming our culture and how we learn and work.
- You will have 24-hour access to several laboratories of networked PCs with a range of language compilers, database and other application software. We are connected, via the SuperJANET network, to the computers of other academic institutions in London, elsewhere in the UK and abroad.
- In the Research Excellence Framework (REF), more than 75% of our research outputs in Computer Science were ranked world-leading or internationally excellent.
Careers and Employability
Graduates go on to careers in the financial services and IT sectors. Possible professions include information systems manager, IT consultant, or systems analyst. This degree can also be useful in becoming a technical author or IT trainer.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Financial Markets
- Accounting and Financial Management
- Advances in Data Management
- Asset Management
- Component Based Software Development
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
You are strongly advised to apply now, to ensure there are still places on your chosen course and to give you time to complete the admissions process.
DisciplinesFinance Computer Sciences Web Technologies & Cloud Computing View 177 other Masters in Web Technologies & Cloud Computing in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- You should have a second-class honours degree or MSc in computer science, with the syllabus containing a substantial amount of programming, preferably in an object-oriented language.
- Joint honours computing graduates or graduates in related engineering and science disciplines may also be eligible, provided they have covered a substantial amount of programming, or have equivalent professional experience in the IT industry.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International7600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7600 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA4450 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4450 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.