The MSc in Bio-Business (Part-Time) at Birkbeck, University of London provides an overview of the life sciences sector, supported and complemented by business, entrepreneurial and applied modules. The structure of the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries is explored in the context of regulation and public perception, to highlight issues of risk, regulation and socioeconomic benefits stemming from technology and material developments. The course features specialist professionals presenting on key areas, such as communications, pharmaceuticals and business development.
Industry specialists will be present and available for networking, and you will be encouraged to spend some time in a company in the sector, via networking opportunities.
Hands-on experiential learning is also provided, such as building talented teams and pitching for funds.
- Develop the science, business and entrepreneurial knowledge and skills you need for a successful career in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industries.
- You will be taught by leading scientists and industry specialists and you can take advantage of networking opportunities.
- New biological sciences module content is informed by a high-profile industrial panel.
- Requires you to carry out an independent piece of research within the subject area of the course.
- In the Research Excellence Framework (REF), in a joint submission with UCL, Biological Sciences at Birkbeck were ranked 11th in the UK, with a research environment supporting world-leading and internationally excellent research.
Careers and Employability
Graduates go on to careers in the scientific and business sectors, as well as in research, public policy, and the biological/chemical industries. Possible professions include research scientist, science writer, or higher education lecturer. This degree may also be useful in becoming an operational researcher or management consultant.
- Entrepreneurial Finance
- Entrepreneurial Venture Creation
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- Future Health Technologies
- Intellectual Capital and Competitiveness
- Research Methods in Management (Postgraduate)
- The Bio Industry
- The Entrepreneurship Process
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
You are strongly advised to apply now, to ensure there are still places on your chosen course and to give you time to complete the admissions process.
More informationGo to the programme website
DisciplinesBusiness Administration Biology Biotechnology View 650 other Masters in Business Administration in United Kingdom
- Our standard postgraduate entry requirement is a second-class honours degree (2:2 or above) from a UK university, or an equivalent international qualification.
- We will review every postgraduate application to Birkbeck on its individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively.
- On your application form, please list all your relevant qualifications and experience, including those you expect to achieve.
- You do not need to have completed your current qualification to start your application.
- Normally at least a second-class honours degree, preferably in a biological or chemical science subject area.
International8400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8400 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA5500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5500 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
Check the programme website for information about funding options.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.