The postgraduate degree in Bioinformatics (Part-Time) at Birkbeck, University of London is ideal if you are from a scientific background and want to pursue research training in bioinformatics, or if you are seeking a future career in both academia and industry. Bioinformatics has grown dramatically in the last two decades and this programme has been designed to meet the needs of the pharmaceutical, chemical and biotechnology industries for research and development.
It covers the core concepts and statistical fundamentals underpinning bioinformatics, most notably in the area of sequence analysis. You will learn how to program in Python and design and query databases using SQL, and gain experience in more advanced programming practices such as software testing and application development. You will also explore core biological concepts such as genes and genomes, protein structure and function, and growth areas such as Next Generation Sequencing and systems modelling.
Our research areas include:
- computational structural bioinformatics, with a focus on the characterisation of macromolecular assemblies relevant to disease
- analysis of next-generation sequencing data, both genomic and transcriptomic
- immunoinformatics, in particular virus-host interactions and immune responses to protein therapeutics
- developing bioinformatics and chemoinformatics methods to analyse metabolic pathways
- structure-thermodynamic relationships, molecular simulation and inhibitor design
- developing new computational methods that exploit data produced using various experimental techniques (eg cryo-EM, mass spectrometry, NMR and tomography).
Careers and Employability
Graduates go on to careers in the biotechnology, chemical, and pharmaceutical sectors, as well as academia. Possible professions include healthcare scientist (genetics), research scientist, or higher education lecturer. This degree can also be useful in becoming a science writer or software developer.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- BioComputing I
- Data Science
- Sequence Analysis and Genomics
- Structural Bioinformatics
- The Molecular Basis of Life
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
You are strongly advised to apply now, to ensure there are still places on your chosen course and to give you time to complete the admissions process.
DisciplinesBiology Bioinformatics Genetics View 465 other Masters in Biology in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
The MRes course is a challenging, interdisciplinary course. We recommend initial entry to the MSc Bioinformatics with Systems Biology course until November (full-time) or February (part-time) so that your skills and knowledge can be thoroughly assessed. Occasionally, direct entry to the MRes is possible, when there is very strong prior evidence that the student will perform well on the course.
You must have a second-class honours degree (2:2) or above.
- Some practical knowledge of one programming language would be a distinct advantage.
- Mathematics to A-level or equivalent desirable, but GCSE/O-level considered.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International8010 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8010 GBP per year during 24 months.
National4980 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4980 GBP per year during 24 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.