The Applied Economics master’s programme from BI Norwegian Business School has a quantitative focus, using data science techniques to simulate economic models and analyse data. You will apply theories and empirical results to solve economic problems, analyse markets, and prescribe optimal business solutions.
The Applied Economics programme is suitable for students with a bachelor degree in: business, economics, and finance; political science and other social sciences with a quantitative focus; and natural sciences including mathematics and statistics.
What Will You Learn?
This programme provides you with a solid foundation in core economic disciplines. It has a quantitative focus and integrates data science techniques in the courses. You will develop strong analytical skills and learn a framework for analysis that can be applied to a great variety of areas, ranging from international trade, business cycles and financial markets, to firm competition, market analysis, and strategic behaviour.
You will learn basic programming and data management, and you will learn the main econometrics estimation methods, using both time series and panel data. You will apply these methods to cases relevant for businesses. The emphasis on analytical and quantitative skills throughout the programme will enable you to understand and develop strategies based on statistical arguments, therefore improving on decision making in this digital age.
Among the topics you will find:
- Industrial Organization: Learn how to apply econometric techniques to uncover casual relationships that may improve decision-making by firms. Understand how the principles of industrial organization are applied within economics consulting, through real-world cases.
- Macroeconomics: Learn the models and empirical techniques used by leading macro-analysts, and analyse macroeconomic events by simulating numerical models. Typical topics are investment, sustainable development, inflation, and how monetary and fiscal policy affect the economy and business.
- Data and programming: Learn basic programming for data management, data analysis, and model simulation.
You will have the opportunity to learn directly from leading economists within fields such as Econometrics and Statistics, Industrial Organisation, and Macroeconomics. You will become part of an environment that has strong ties to both the business community and policy makers.
With a Master of Science in Applied Economics degree, you will be a relevant and attractive candidate for a great number of positions, both in the private and public sector. Since the basic concepts in Economics are transferrable, you will be able to work all over the world.
Examples of career possibilities:
- Economics consulting/ management consulting
- Chief Economist
- Macro/micro analyst
- Strategic advisor
- Data analyst
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Students have options for internship, exchange, and the QTEM Master Network.
- Industrial Organization and Economics Consulting
- Econometrics with Programming
- International Macroeconomics and Finance
- Theoretical Industrial Organization
- Game Theory
- Decisions, Strategy and Information
- Labour Market and Personell Economics
- Research Methodology - Economics
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Academic year begins mid-August 2021
DisciplinesEconomics Finance Econometrics View 5 other Masters in Econometrics in Norway
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
A successfully completed Bachelor’s degree (180 ECTS credits) in the field of business administration, finance, or economics.
OrA successfully completed Bachelor's degree with a specialisation (minimum 80 ECTS) in one of the following fields, provided that the combination of courses gives a good foundation for further studies within Applied Economics:
- Political Science
- Quantitative Psychology
- Quantitative Social Science
- Natural Science
- Computer Science
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International9415 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9415 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA9415 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9415 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
- NOK 103 600
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.