- key principles of psychological theory, including perception, attention and performance, developmental psychology, memory and cognition, social psychology, psychobiology and individual differences
- practical skills in research methodology, including the formulation of hypotheses, designing and reporting experiments using a range of research methodologies, and subject-specific IT skills
- transferable skills in critical thinking, learning how to evaluate hypotheses, presentation writing and delivery, and report and essay writing.
- Psychological Sciences at Birkbeck were rated fifth in the UK in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF) and we achieved 100% for a research environment conducive to research of world-leading quality.
- Psychology at Birkbeck is ranked third best in London, ninth in the UK and 85th globally in the 2019 Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject.
- Designed for students with an undergraduate degree in another subject who want to gain a Master's in psychology.
- Provides Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC) of the British Psychological Society (awardable at Year 2).
Careers and Employability
Graduates can pursue careers in psychology, education, human resources and management. Possible professions include clinical psychologist, further education lecturer, or human resources officer. This degree may also be useful in becoming a counsellor, careers adviser, or educational psychologist.
- Developmental Psychology
- Individual Differences
- Learning and Memory
- Perception, Attention and Performance
- Research Methods
- Social Psychology
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
You are strongly advised to apply now, to ensure there are still places on your chosen course and to give you time to complete the admissions process.
More informationGo to the programme website
DisciplinesPsychology View 731 other Masters in Psychology in United Kingdom
- Relevant prior study of psychology and research methods (subject to agreement by the admissions tutor).
- Mathematics GCSE at grade C or new grade 4 or equivalent qualification.
- We will review every postgraduate application to Birkbeck on its individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively. We actively support and encourage applications from mature learners.
- On your application form, please list all your relevant qualifications and experience, including those you expect to achieve.
- You do not need to have completed your current qualification to start your application.
International7600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7600 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA4725 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4725 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
Birkbeck is committed to providing advice and support to help you finance your postgraduate studies. The government has introduced new loans for postgraduate students and, alongside these, we also offer flexible payment options and a hardship fund to support students who experience a change of circumstances while studying.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.