The course will deepen your understanding of the methods and insights of contemporary health and clinical psychological sciences, including applied neuroscience. You will develop your generic research skills, learn advanced quantitative and qualitative methods, and study how best to design and evaluate interventions.
The emphasis is on mixed-method approaches and we will support you in developing a cross-disciplinary approach to appraising research and carrying out an extended critical review.
On the Birkbeck, University of London 's MA Health and Clinical Psychological Sciences (Part-Time) , you conduct an extended critical review within an area of contemporary psychology, which involves formulating a research question, conducting a literature review, assessing arguments and the available evidence, and writing up your study in a format suitable for publication.
- Birkbeck's Department of Psychological Sciences has an outstanding research tradition, with an international reputation in all aspects of cognitive neuroscience, especially developmental cognitive neuroscience. You will have the opportunity to attend research seminars and to meet and network with world-class researchers, both in the Department and at other leading research centres and institutes at Birkbeck and in the Bloomsbury area.
- Psychology at Birkbeck is ranked third best in London, ninth in the UK and 85th globally in the 2019 Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject.
- Psychological Sciences at Birkbeck were ranked fifth in the UK in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF) and we achieved 100% for a research environment conducive to research of world-leading quality.
Careers and Employability
Graduates can pursue careers in psychology, health or related areas. Possible professions may include psychologist, counsellor or researcher. This degree may also be useful in becoming a further education lecturer.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Quantitative Methods
- Critical review of research methodologies in psychological and clinical sciences
- Current Challenges in Health
- Generic Research Skills
- Intervention Design and Evaluation
- Neurocases and Clinical Assessments
- Neurocognitive Processes in Mental Health
- Qualitative Methods
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
You are strongly advised to apply now, to ensure there are still places on your chosen course and to give you time to complete the admissions process.
DisciplinesPsychology Health Sciences View 762 other Masters in Psychology in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A second-class honours degree in psychology or a related discipline (eg neuroscience, nursing or health sciences).
- We will review every postgraduate application to Birkbeck on its individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively.
- On your application form, please list all your relevant qualifications and experience, including those you expect to achieve.
- You do not need to have completed your current qualification to start your application.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International7600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7600 GBP per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA4725 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4725 GBP per year during 24 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.