The Postgraduate Diploma in Environment and Sustainability (Part-Time) at Birkbeck, University of London explores the relationship between policy, practice and the ecological environment and the development of effective strategies for addressing the threats and opportunities posed by environmental issues. As the programme is offered through part-time, evening, face-to-face study, it provides a distinctive opportunity for practitioners to combine study with a continuing career.
Aimed at people from a wide range of backgrounds, it is suitable for anyone who wishes to develop a deeper understanding of the key drivers of environmental policy developments in the UK and internationally. It is relevant for managers with responsibility for environmental affairs in the public or private sector, members of a regulatory body, members of environmental pressure groups, or those with a general interest in ecological issues.
- Listen to an introductory lecture: 'Climate Change and the River Thames' (delivered by Becky Briant).
- Our location in central London offers excellent access to a wide range of research resources, including the Birkbeck Library, the LSE Library of Political and Economic Science (LSE), the Royal Geographical Society and Senate House Library (University of London).
- The Department of Geography has contacts with many public and private sector organisations, professional bodies and researchers at other academic institutions, which can lead to important networking opportunities.
- Our academic staff are experts in their respective fields, publishing and teaching in a wide range of topics including climate modelling, renewable energy, flooding and coastal adaptation.
- In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF), Sociology at Birkbeck was ranked 13th in the UK.
Careers and Employability
Graduates go on to careers in business, environmental management, local government, policy work, and in environmental groups and charities. Possible professions include geographical information systems officer, nature conservation officer, or environmental consultant. This degree can also be useful in becoming a planning and development surveyor or town planner.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Environment and Policy
- Environmental Reporting and Management Systems
- Environmental Science for Environmental Management
- GEDS Research Methods
- Sustainable Business Practice
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
You are strongly advised to apply now, to ensure there are still places on your chosen course and to give you time to complete the admissions process.
DisciplinesSustainable Development Environmental Economics & Policy Environmental Sciences View 211 other Masters in Environmental Sciences in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Our standard postgraduate entry requirement is a second-class honours degree (2:2 or above) from a UK university, or an equivalent international qualification.
- We will review every postgraduate application to Birkbeck on its individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively. We actively support and encourage applications from mature learners.
- On your application form, please list all your relevant qualifications and experience, including those you expect to achieve.
- You do not need to have completed your current qualification to start your application.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International7600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7600 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA4450 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4450 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
- Part-time home/EU students, Year 2: £4450 pa
- Part-time international students, Year 2: £7600 pa
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.