Interdisciplinary training in biomedical data analysis
Biomedical research generates large volumes of complex data, encompassing: genomics, proteomics, metabolomics, phenotypic data, epidemiology and clinical trial investigations, to inform our understanding of disease mechanisms.
This Precision Medicine - Genomics and Analytics course will equip you with the skills to utilise these data sets in the development of precision medicine. Data impacts on the creation of new tailored therapies, aiding earlier diagnosis and the selection of optimal treatment regimens for patients who may be suffering from disorders ranging from common disorders of complex aetiology (such as cancer or cardiovascular disease) to the more rare Mendelian disease (such as muscular dystrophy).
Pioneering data science research at Leeds
The University of Leeds is now a partner of The Alan Turing Institute, the UK’s prestigious national institute for data science. The partnership is spearheaded by the Leeds Institute for Data Analytics (LIDA) with contributions from researchers and data scientists across the University. Research in LIDA sheds new light on health and human behaviour and the action needed to tackle a wide range of medical, social and environmental problems.
You’ll benefit from a research-led education at the forefront of the most innovative data analytics research at Leeds.
LIDA is supported by national programmes such as the MRC’s Medical Bioinformatics who invested £5.7 million to enable ground-breaking and productive bioinformatics research at the interface between the clinic, health records and high volume molecular and phenotypic data sets.
Leeds has also recently been the recipient of huge investments from funding councils across the UK, such as the recent £10 million investment in artificial intelligence and digital pathology.
Upon completion of this programme you’ll be well-placed to undertake a PhD in this field. You may also be able to enter into a number of roles within the industry or NHS:
- Computational biology
- Data analytics functions
- Clinical genetics
- Disease Biologist
- Clinical Scientist
- Clinical leadership in genomic medicine
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- High-Throughput Technologies
- Biopharmaceutical Development: Clinical
- Analytical Skills in Precision Medicine
- Research Project: Genomics and Analytics
- Statistical Theory and Methods
- Statistical Learning
- Big Data and Rare and Common Disorders
- Cancer Biology and Molecular Oncology
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesBiomedicine Bioinformatics & Biostatistics Genetics View 162 other Masters in Bioinformatics & Biostatistics in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Applicants should normally have a bachelor’s degree with at least a 2:1 or equivalent in a relevant scientific discipline which would normally be one of the biological sciences or natural sciences. Subject to University regulations, MBChB or BDS students who had completed 3 years of study would be eligible to intercalate.
- While the course does not assume any prior knowledge of statistics, we require that students demonstrate their aptitude for statistics from either undergraduate teaching in statistics/mathematics, an A-level (or equivalent) in mathematics or other relevant experience.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Tuition FeeVisit official programme website
Living costs for Leeds
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.