We will inspire you to shape your individual creative practice with relevant theoretical knowledge and experimental approaches, informing a personal voice and engagement within the creative industries.
We are looking for applicants who are strongly motivated, reflective and independently minded. The course supports projects that enable you to focus on a specialist aspect of film or photographic practice, along with proposals (major project) that combine or explore the relationship between the two disciplines. We value interdisciplinary debate that utilises the collective knowledge and experience of students and staff.
This course builds on the success and experience of our previous postgraduate programmes and is informed by the importance of adaptability in a rapidly changing global industry. The University is committed to your long-term success, and if you choose this course you will benefit from support that has secured for Derby a ranking of 15th highest for graduate employment amongst UK universities (HESA 2015).
The University hosts the International Film and Photography FORMAT exhibition and conference in collaboration with Derby QUAD, which attracts artists from all over the world. This provides a unique opportunity for Derby students to showcase their work, to network, and create and establish contacts in industry.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Independent Scholarship and Critical Reflection
- This triple module is an opportunity for you to demonstrate your deep engagement with the subject, an appropriate application of creativity and imagination to your project, and your intellectual and critical awareness.
- You will be expected to produce a significant and mature body of practical creative work that demonstrates the realisation of your individual practice and its location within the award you have chosen.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesVisual Arts Film, Photography & Media Liberal Arts View 494 other Masters in Visual Arts in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
For international students you will need to have qualifications and experience that are at the same level as for a UK student applying for the same course.
- UK and EU Entry Requirements
You will normally be expected to have an appropriate Film/photography/fine art, or other first degree appropriate to apply for the MA (Minimum 2:2 or above), or a professional qualification of equal standing, or significant practical or professional experience gained following your initial qualification that would support your application. You should bring your portfolio to the interview normally arranged at the University.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
UK fee: £755 per 20 credits (Part-time)
Living costs for Derby
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- You will need to apply separately for the Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarship, the International Excellent Student Scholarship and the GREAT Scholarship, but all others are assessed for eligibility alongside your application.
- Our new EU Transition Bursary offers financial support to our European students. If you normally reside in the EU and are starting your undergraduate or postgraduate taught course in September or January , you could be eligible for this reduction in your tuition fees. If you have home fee status or have EU settled or pre-settled status in the UK, you are not eligible for international scholarships but you may be eligible for the Derby Achievement Scholarship.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.