*This programme profile is financed by Dora Plus Action 4: Marketing of study and employment opportunities in Estonia (European Regional Development Fund).
The Sound and Visual Technology programme gives you the opportunity to study two of the most engaging and rapidly developing fields in the arts and culture. You will choose either sound or visual technology as your main speciality, but you will also gain an in-depth working knowledge of the other field.
Beyond your core specialities, you will develop your entrepreneurship, teamwork, and project management skills. Practice is at the core of the curriculum, and you will apply what you learned in the classroom straight away with practical activities and by working in creative teams.
Why study Sound and Visual Technology at the University of Tartu?
- The University of Tartu belongs to the top 1.2% of the world's universities (300th position in the QS World University Rankings 2022).
- Study in Viljandi, the cultural capital of Estonia, in modern and well-equipped studios and facilities. Our partnerships with Estonian Public Broadcasting, theatres, private studios and performance companies offer you exclusive work-study opportunities.
- You can choose between sound or visual technology as your main speciality and develop your entrepreneurship, teamwork, and project management skills.
- Our teachers are practitioners and specialists in their fields.
- You will work in teams to create and produce projects that closely mirror the industry workflow to facilitate your transition into a professional environment and help launch your career.
- After graduation, you can work at a performance institution or theatre, lead large-scale audiovisual projects, start your own business or work as a freelancer.
After graduation, you will possess the competencies to take a leading position at a performance institution or theatre. You will be able to lead large-scale audiovisual projects or work as the head of a technical area at a theatre. You can also start your own business or work as a freelancer, as you will have the necessary skills and knowledge in entrepreneurship and team management.
University of Tartu Institutional Accreditation 2015-2022: The Quality Assessment Council for Higher Education of the Estonian Quality Agency for Higher and Vocational Education decided to accredit the University of Tartu for seven years.
The next accreditation will be conducted in 2022.
The programme consists of 5 study modules:
- The first module (30 ECTS) is dedicated to general subjects, including courses on project management, startup entrepreneurship, multicultural teams, and cross-media technology and audiovisual culture.
- The second module (30 ECTS) is your speciality module. You will team up with your fellow students for creative-practical practice “Sound and visual arts project”.
- The third module (20 ECTS) is a speciality practice. It can be pursued based on your individual study path and interests.
- The fourth module (6 ECTS) includes free elective subjects. You can choose from any available subjects taught at the University of Tartu or other universities in Estonia.
- The fifth module (34 ECTS) is the master thesis module. It includes a supervisor’s seminar (4 ECTS) and the choice between defending a theoretical master thesis or conducting a master project.
We welcome all students regardless of their previous educational background.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Sound Engineering View 5 other Masters in Visual Arts in Estonia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Tartu and/or in Estonia, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification (must be obtained by the end of July)
- English language proficiency
International4000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA4000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4000 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Viljandi
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Tuition waivers are available.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.