The Sound and Visual Technology programme gives you the opportunity to study two of the most engaging and rapidly developing fields in the arts and culture. You will choose either sound or visual technology as your main speciality, but you will also gain an in-depth working knowledge of the other field.
Beyond your core specialities, you will develop your skills in entrepreneurship, teamwork and project management. Practice is at the core of the curriculum, and you will apply what you learned in the classroom straight away with practical activities and by working in creative teams.
Why study Sound and Visual Technology at UT?
- Study in Viljandi, the cultural capital of Estonia, in modern and well-equipped studios and facilities. Our partnerships with Estonian Public Broadcasting, theatres, private studios and performance companies offer you exclusive work-study opportunities.
- You can choose between sound or visual technology as your main specialty and also develop your skills in entrepreneurship, teamwork and project management.
- Our teachers are practitioners and specialists in their fields.
- You will work in teams to create and produce projects that closely mirror the industry workflow to facilitate your transition into a professional environment and to help launch your career.
- After graduation, you can work at a performance institution or theatre, lead large-scale audiovisual projects, start your own business or work as a freelancer.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- First module (30 ECTS) is dedicated to general subjects, which include courses on project management, startup entrepreneurship, working in multicultural teams and subjects relating to cross-media technology and audiovisual culture.
- Second module (30 ECTS) is your speciality module. You will team up with your fellow students for creative-practical practice “Sound and visual arts project”. This module lets you develops skills in your speciality – whether you choose visual or sound technology. You can focus on music mixing and mastering or graphic and motion design. Depending on your previous experience, students are divided into two specialisations and go in-depth with sound or lightning design and system design for both specialites.
- Third module (20 ECTS) is speciality practice. It can be pursued based on your individual study path and interests. We offer a wide variety of practice opportunities in Estonia and abroad. Speciality practice will take place during the third semester of studies.
- Fourth module (6 ECTS) includes free elective subjects. You can choose from any of the available subjects taught in Tartu University or other universities in Estonia.
- Fifth module (34 ECTS) is the master thesis module. It includes a supervisor’s seminar (4 ECTS) and the choice between defending a theoretical master thesis or conducting a master project.
Kadri Steinbach, Programme Director.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesVisual Arts Music Theatre & Dance View 5 other Masters in Visual Arts in Estonia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor's degree
- Admission interview
- English language proficiency
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International4000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4000 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
National4000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4000 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Tuition waivers are available.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.