*This programme profile is financed by Dora Plus Action 4: Marketing of study and employment opportunities in Estonia (European Regional Development Fund).
Materials Science and Technology is a master's programme focusing on developing and commercialising new materials and their applications. Studies of materials science are combined with acquiring the basics of entrepreneurship.
The programme provides knowledge of theoretical principles of materials science, testing and investigation methods and development and design of materials. Students' development projects are done in cooperation with scientific laboratories, where they also perform the experimental part of their master's thesis.
Why study Materials Science and Technology at the University of Tartu ?
- The University of Tartu belongs to the top 1.2% of the world's universities (300th position in the QS World University Rankings 2022).
- Focus on developing and commercialising new materials and their applications.
- Each student joins a laboratory and takes part in the scientific work of the lab. You can choose between the labs of the Institute of Physics, the Institute of Chemistry, and the Institute of Technology.
- An internship is a mandatory part of your studies.
- Professor Mikhail Brik belongs to the top 1% of the most-cited scientists in the world (ESI 2021).
- After graduation, you can work as a specialist, developing materials in manufacturing enterprises, research institutions and laboratories. You can also start a business handling materials or continue your studies at the doctoral level.
Graduates can work as specialists developing materials in manufacturing enterprises or research institutions and laboratories. They have the knowledge and skills to start and run new small and medium businesses handling materials. Graduates can continue their studies at the doctoral level.
University of Tartu Institutional Accreditation 2015-2022: The Quality Assessment Council for Higher Education of the Estonian Quality Agency for Higher and Vocational Education decided to accredit the University of Tartu for seven years.
The next accreditation will be conducted in 2022.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Curriculum overview (120 ECTS):
- Materials Science Module (30 ECTS)
- Entrepreneurship Module (15 ECTS)
- Elective Courses (24 ECTS) - students can choose the courses according to their specialisation
- Optional Courses (6 ECTS) - all courses available at the University of Tartu and partner universities
- Practice (15 ECTS)
- Master's Thesis (30 ECTS)
Examples of courses:
- Testing and Investigation Methods in Materials Science
- Theoretical Principles of Materials Science
- Technology Entrepreneurship Basic Course
- Development of Materials I: Classes of Materials and Composites
- Development of Materials II: Classes of Materials, Composites
- Fuel Cells and Batteries: Materials and Technology
- Marketing of Innovative Products and Services
We welcome students with a previous educational background in science, technology, or engineering.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering Physics Engineering Management View 3 other Masters in Physics in Estonia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification (must be obtained by the end of July) in science, technology, or engineering, encompassing at least 45 ECTS in mathematics, physics, chemistry, materials science or engineering
- English language proficiency
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International5000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA5000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5000 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Tartu
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Tuition waivers are available.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.